Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using the BT Smarthub 6 on a Plusnet Account

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Using the BT Smarthub 6 on a Plusnet Account

@Ivor4  Welcome to the forum.

This is nothing to do with your router. Google gets its data from your IP address. They use Geolocation data bases, of which there are thousands around the world, all of which are totally inaccurate. If you try searching a few youself and inputting your IP address you might find each one is different. The last time I tried my answers ranged from the south of the country to Scotland.None were within 100 miles of my location.

I imagine that if you have a Google account you can tell them where you live. I find Google so intrusive I prefer not to tell them anything, they spend enough time nosing around my business already.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Ivor4

Hi Baldrick 1.

Many thanks for your fast response. This is what I gathered. It is just annoying that any route that I search for in maps doesn't automatically start from my home address. I have already sent a correction request to Google but judging from what others have said, I'm not expecting any response soon.

Your help is much appreciated

Baldrick1

You will only get to your nearest general area from an accurate IP address geolocation data base anyway, not your home address.

Moderator and Customer

Ivor4

Yes, I understand @Baldrick1 . I should have used the term 'my location' instead of 'home address.

mort7890
Pro
Fixes: 4

Hi @Baldrick1 After my last report I did leave it running but over the 2 hours following the BT Hub restarted every 15 minutes and of course the speed dropped. So being fed up with the BT Hub I reverted back to the PN Hub, all devices connected with no problems even with the 5ghz (would be ideal if the PN Hub did show them seperately). Seems the fix that @bobpullen did with the router updateworked and has been running 5 hours without a hiccup and the speed is starting to increase also have no problem with wi-fi coverage. I must have got a rogue BT Hub, will return it and keep running the PN Hub to increase the speed to where it should be. Will keep you posted.

mort7890
Pro

Just realised that it is possible to set the name for the 5ghz wi-fi so they can be seen as seperate connections, again my error, but that helps a lot.

mort7890
Pro

Hi @Baldrick1 @bobpullen More than likely the final update been running the PN hub for over a day now with no problems on either the 2.4ghz or the 5ghz with both being identifiable on wi-fi. No problems with the strength and coverage of the wi-fi signal either and the speed is almost back to what it was before trying the BT hub. Very satisfied with the way things are running so going to leave well alone for the time being.

Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.273 | Last updated 20/08/20 thanks @bobpullen for the software

Donnygal
Dabbler

Sorry to tag on, but thought another post on the subject wouldn't be wanted.  Unhappy with the Plusnet Router, so looking for a BT Smarthub 6.  I have seen various versions for sale A and C and business.  Do they all work, or not?

Thanks

DG

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Yes

Even the BT Smart Hub2 although on that one you are unable to separate the bandwidths.

gdgreen
Hooked

There is a separate post on this, but as this thread is the most comprehensive discussion of using the BT SmartHub 6 I thought it might be worth adding here that the Business SmartHub 6 firmware no longer has a Smart Setup option, so step 4 in Baldrick1's instructions can (indeed must) be skipped. I was panicking when I could not find this option, until I googled it and found that someone else had already worked out that the option is gone and hasn't just been moved.

Otherwise, the instructions worked well and my SmartHub is working well. It is much better than both the Plusnet router and the SSE router that I was using until a month ago. I found that with the Plusnet router various devices seemed to fall off the LAN often, including ones connected by cable. This seems to have stopped. And the wifi seems to cover my whole house. At the other end of the house, the wifi strength on my iPhone is down to one bar. That would mean no signal using my old routers, but with the SmartHub one bar seems fine. It will stream BBC Sounds comfortably. I've therefore been able to get rid of my power line relays, which were always finicky.

Fantastic, for £25 from eBay!

porterballs
Hooked

hello i have been using the bt smart hub 2 for a few months now on my plusnet connection, i was getting such poor perfomance with my plusney router wifi so i switched over to the bt hub. In the last week or so my download speed has been cut in half on the bt router from 6mb to 3mb and nothing has changed.

i switched back over to the plusnet router to check out if the same problem occurs and im getting fullspeed on the plusnet router. is there anything i can do to increase the speed back on the bt router as it has much better wifi perfomance, if not anything i can do to imporve the plusnet wifi as it is really woeful thanks.

Baldrick1

@porterballs  Welcome to the forum.

The question that comes to my mind is whether it is the change of hub that caused your speed to change or the fact that in changing hubs your line would have been dropped then resynchronised.

What happens if you put the Smarthub back? Is it still slow?

WARNING don't swap them around more than once a day or the DLM might slow the line down, thinking that you have a fault on what, basrd on your speed, is presumably a pretty long line. Is this DSL or Fibre?

Moderator and Customer

porterballs
Hooked

its still slow when i put my smart hub back yes.

and too late for that lol im ive alredy swapped them over so looks like both routers are now slow.

the bt router was working fine up until a week ago, the speeds dropped in half and i hadnt touched it for a few months.

its fibre supposed to 55down and 20up. im about 10 minutes away from the exchange.

Baldrick1

@porterballs 

I'm totally confused. In an earlier post you said that your speed has dropped from 6 (which you appear to be happy with) to 3 Mbps. Now you say that you should be getting 55Mbps?

What predicted speeds are reported if you put your phone number in here?  https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Moderator and Customer

porterballs
Hooked

Sorry that was just poor wording! I meant yes it’s dropped from a 6mb download to 3mb! Then I refer to my actually fibre speed as 55-60 on the line! Done a speed test and I’m getting around 25mbps which is equating to around 2.5 to 3mb when I download.