cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using the BT Smarthub 6 on a Plusnet Account

Shaunwood
Dabbler

Re: Using the BT Smarthub 6 on a Plusnet Account

Does anyone know what the Firmware version should be on the BT Smarthub 6?

Mine is as follows. Is this the latest?

SG4B1000E020

29-Apr-2020

Shaunwood
Dabbler

@Baldrick1 Is there a way to turn off the BT Wifi part of the Smarthub 6?

It shows as active on the status page but with no way to turn it off in the hub. Do you have to be a BT Customer to do this?

I saw on your guide that it says you can with a business hub. I assume i dont have a business version.

Leapy
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 3

@Shaunwood my BT hub 6 auto updated on the 1st August 2020 to version SG4B1000E020, so it looks like that's the current version.

Iv'e never tried to switch off the BT wifi  (and don't intend trying it) as Iv'e 12 devices  on 2.4 and 5g, with no issues and it's much better than the Plus One hub, even with the latest update.

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Although the BT wifi status shows Active, for customers on plusnet presently it does not transmit. Presently you have to be a BT Customer to get it to show Not Active.

Uncle_Tupelo
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@Baldrick1 Sorry, but it would be very odd if a modem/router didn't work as a modem. That would make it a router. I may be double NATing but it works fine for me. What I'm asking (I'll try to be more specific) is are there any advantages to using a Smarthub 6 over a Hub 1 if I'm not using either for WiFi?
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@Uncle_Tupelo 

OK you have it your way. To the rest of the world a broadband modem is a device that turns the incoming broadband signals into a digirtal data stream. A router distributes the digital stream  to locally connected devices and provides other digital data processing functions,  A modem/router such as a Hub 1 or Smarthub combines the two functions and it is undesirable to stick another router in series wirh one.

Is there any advantage in connecting a Smarthub in this configureation? I doubt it.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Uncle_Tupelo
Rising Star

Thank you. That's all I was after.
Shaunwood
Dabbler

Well after all the hassle of the first router refusing to connect I got another Smart hub 6 and bingo connected first time. Oddly it was on the day my Plusnet router failed on me (how about that for luck).
Anyway I finally got Plusnet to respond and send me a replacement router (as I knew if I had issues in future and was not using their equipment they would immediately jump to it being my equipment faulty). I decided to set up the Plusnet one so it was ready to go should I have issues. No problem Connected and working. And out of curiosity I thought I would plug in the previous non working smart hub 6.
It worked!!!
What on Earth is going on in my circuitry that’s means it would not work before and yet with no changes now it does??? How weird.

So now I have 2 Smarthub 6 and a Plusnet hub one.
Thanks to @Baldrick1 for all your patience and help trying to get it working before. And anyone else who helped me.
Can’t say I am seeing a a massive difference in signal but I am loving the ‘turn off lights’ feature of the Bt hub as the telephone socket is in our bedroom.
Steven_Thompson
Dabbler

Just replaced my Plusnet router with a Smart Hub bought from eBay this afternoon. @Baldrick1's instructions were really easy to follow and all seems well so far. 5ghz performance seems much more stable.

Thanks!
Leapy
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 3

I also found the upload and download speeds improved  and it auto updated too 🙂

upfor7days.jpg

SAABDude
Grafter

Been using my BT SmartHub 6 (home version) for about a month now and all good. Very stable, no drop outs. Full 40mb / 10mb on my package with the router upstairs and on extension wiring from the master socket (vdsl faceplate on master socket / dedicated wiring pair for BB to remote socket is well worth doing too). Won't be moving back to Plusnet router unless there is a very good reason.
Happyhiker
Hooked

Just got a business smart hub, easy to set up, but how do I change the dns settings ? That was the whole point in me getting it. Advanced settings broadband, does not have an auto dns setting like the bt website says?

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@Happyhiker 

Double posting causes confusion and extra work for those trying to help you. If you switch Auto DNS to OFF the entry field for your choice of DNS server will appear.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Cfiander

Great instructions Baldrick1. 

I have two tips from...err....let’s just say from a friend (definitely not me).

1, ensure you get your Plusnet log in password correct - this will save lots of swearing.

2, obviously, don’t leave your old Plusnet router plugged in and turned on elsewhere in the house as this will cause all sorts of techno and smart device confusion. This will also save lots of swearing whilst keeping your blood pressure at an acceptable level for normal human beings. 

I, sorry, my friend, is now all sorted and up and running with more than 12 devices happily connected. 

Thanks again Baldrick1 - great step-by-step guide

Prologica
Rising Star

Hi All,

Anyone had issues with the seperate 2.4 and 5 ghz bands and Google mini hub?

Since my landline and broadband were recently reinstated by Openreach and Plusnet and brought back up to expected speeds, I reinstated Home Hub 6 with seperate bands (I think channel is set to auto). Since this, my mini hub is constantly loosing Wi-fi connection, sometimes every few minutes, sometimes every few hours. My Goggle Home app is on my IPad which is often on 2.4. I’ve set the home hub to the 5 band as its in the kitchen nearer the router (except for an inconvenient solid wall alcove. I think it may be something to do with the separate bands. I’ve updated the network setting on the hub several times and done a factory reset. Every time connection is fine for a time, then lost. Any ideas?

thanks

david