Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using the BT Smarthub 6 on a Plusnet Account

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Using the BT Smarthub 6 on a Plusnet Account

@Madhatter007 

Have you read step 13 of my original post? I quote from it:

Note that if you go back to the ‘Home’ page then ‘Status’ that this will show the Primary and Secondary DNS servers to still be the Plusnet ones. However, if you have a windows PC, open a command prompt and enter ‘ipconfig /all’ you will see that your choice is actually the ones in use.

@Madhatter007 

Regarding being unable to change the DNS servers what firmware are you on? Mine is SG4B1B0092BE

The DNS Server settings are still here under Advanced Settings/ My Network/IPv4 Configuration. Are you looking in the right place?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Umbanzo
Dabbler

Morning, 

I'm successfully using the BT business hub 6, setting it up using Baldrick's great instructions, with it has to be said help from lifeonmars. It has proved substantially more stable than the PN hub. I have not changed the DNS settings, is this worthwhile for just a basic user like me ?

Cheers

Baldrick1

@Umbanzo 

It is purely a matter of personal choice. There is the occasional report of Plusnet's servers failing to resolve an address but they are generally fairly quick and reliable. The other reasons people use different servers is the speed of lookups and a matter of privacy. As you are probably aware the DNS servers are akin to using directory enquiries on a phone. Some people are concerned whether their web searches are being recorded for whatever reasons and use servers that they trust to never record lookup requests.

Moderator and Customer

Umbanzo
Dabbler

Many thanks, I will leave it as is 😊

If people need a recommendation for the business hub, I can assure them it's a big improvement. My broadband area isn't quick, however PN hub was downloading at about 15-16 Mbps and upload was 1.3, with constant drop outs on WiFi mobile calls.

Since changing I'm back at 32 download and 3.8 upload, without a single call drop out since start of use.

I'm almost tempted to try PN for a  phone SIM as well. However no WiFi calling feature.

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

I believe the plusnet sim card still does not support short text codes either.

briston
Aspiring Pro

Correct. PN sun does not support short text codes and also, although using the EE network it does not address the 800MHz channels so coverage is not the same as EE.
prettygrim49
Grafter

can i ask you, Umbanzo, assuming you had previously reported the slow down to PN, what they said/did to try to get the issue resolved? to get almost double the download speed now, as you had previously, instead of the half speed you had ended with when using the PN router is pretty phenomenal! when i was in a similar position, PN even tried the bull excuse that, according to Openreach, my connection had magically been re-run not just to a different cabinet but down a different route, different to the houses that i was in the middle of! this was done because PN just didn't want to pursue the issue of slowing down of connection and put any pressure on to Openreach to correct the problem! as is usual in the UK now, the customer is bottom of the tree when it comes to getting what they are paying for and broadband is a brilliant example! when the only option available is the use of BT/Openreach equipment and the usual bull response to complaints is 'you can always use a different ISP', it dont help much. changing the company name at the top of your bill dont magically improve anything!

i live approx 1.2km (cable route) from the exchange and &00mtrs from the Cabinet. i started with around 35mg download and that has gradually eroded to 28mg (up from 26mg as of Friday). changing to a Smart HUb 2 router did nothing for me and had no option to change DNS settings either. if i knew getting yet another hub (business hub) would get my speed back up and keep it consistent and stable, i would, but, no guarantees of that. then we have Openreach running around like headless chickens, 5 years+ too late, trying to keep their business afloat with the imminent onset of 5G, by only now starting to provide FTTH. i bet the shareholders wish they had taken the option when it was offered previously, instead of turning it down and convincing the government that it was not viable, too expensive and not popular enough. the benefits would have been 5 fold by now and kept the UK amongst the top of the broadband countries. as usual, too little, too late!!

Umbanzo
Dabbler

Thanks for the heads up 👍 it won't be PN then 😊

Umbanzo
Dabbler

I imagine there would be no guarantees as everyone's dilemma would be different. I started having issues with the PN hub after about 2 weeks of use the speeds just started dropping off. Clearly lockdown perhaps would not have helped. I subsequently joined and read through the forum posts on the present PN hub, there are lots of posts ( probably into the thousands now) highlighting issues with the PN hub. PN I believe are aware of this and are trying to resolve, however I followed Baldrick's advice and bought the BT business hub 6 off eBay for £22. I'm an idiot and techno phobe but managed to follow Baldrick's instructions ( on this thread ) and set it up without issue.

I used to get constant dropouts on WiFi calls which was really frustrating, not  had one since I changed hubs. The WiFi is clearly more stable, I'd hate to put my better WiFi just down to the BT hub however the improvements coincide with me installing it.

HumphreyLittle

Just a quick word of thanks for the setup info post #1. Bought a business HH6 (0088315) to replace the Hub One after also experiencing the Wi-Fi troubles documented in this forum. Now very happy with the results & DNS Server change to boot! The icing on the cake was to be able to turn off the hub light (PN Hub One option was 'Bright' or 'nearly as Bright') 😀 👍

fibreinternet
Grafter

Isn’t it a shame that plusnet throw out a router that many of us find unreliable. I just kept being told as though being read from a script. No service guarantees a wireless signal. So it was drastic measures that took me to buying a HH6, immediately my issues disappeared.
PaulR777
Hooked

Firstly I would like to say thanks to the posters who replied to my post and provided excellent advice. 

After missing out on a number of BT Business Hubs, and reading a couple of posts about possible changes resulting from firmware updates, I made a decision to change tact. Having done a lot of reach I decided to go for a TP link ArcherVr2800, I tried to source one off eBay but they were nearly all selling for north of a £110 by the time postage etc was included so I figured I’d pick up a brand new one online for £149 and get a 3 year guarantee to boot.So far, the TP link has been excellent, no drop outs and good speeds. 

Thanks to all for their advice and I will continue to watch with interest. 

briston
Aspiring Pro

@PaulR777 like you I also went along a different tact.

I turned off the WiFi in my hub1 and purchased a couple of Deco m5 mesh dishes. So I use the hub1 as a midem only, not as a WiFi router

Instant cure.
Baldrick1

@briston 

You cannot set a Hub One up as a bridge modem so unless you have set up your M5 unit in Access Point mode you are double NATing, which is not a good idea.

Moderator and Customer

Baldrick1

@PaulR777 

Choice of modem/routers comes down to budget and facilities required. I think that you have got confused about Smarthub firmware changes as these only apply to the Residential models not the Business versions. I have yet to read any evidence that any of these changes has resulted in performance degradation when used with Plusnet.

Unless you need the additional facilities provided by your new router your 3 year guarantee has cost you about the same as half a dozen Smarthubs. From my experience they last a lot longer than 6 months, I don't know how long as I have yet to have one of the ones that I use and have fitted for others die.

Moderator and Customer