cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using the BT Smarthub 6 on a Plusnet Account

Robert15
Hooked

Re: Using the BT Smarthub 6 on a Plusnet Account

I've just read this with some intrest as do you know if i was to get a hub 6 what type do i need? A or B most on flea bay are type A, with a few type Bs about, I have unlimited fibre extra and wondered which would be the best to use?

many thanks 

Tags (1)
dalym

Hi

I think if you wade through this thread you will get much more seasoned information than mine from Baldrick et all.  that said the main decision is whether to go for a business or home hub 6.  The former allows you to set DNS servers statically (which might or might not be a relevant thing for you).  I am currently running on a home hub 6 which works fine with plusnet.  The only downside is that the BT public wifi is shown as enabled and can't be turned off.  This is as of firmware SG4B1000E020.  I can't find any evidence of this being an issue with losing bandwidth as I can't imagine it would reserve bandwidth, but it is a bit irritating.  The part number of my home smart hub is 084316 - so that is known to work.  I've just upgraded to unlimited extra, but it hasn't worked as yet as Openreach haven't done their thing yet.  Hopefully in the next 24 hours.  Once it's upgraded I will report back on the performance and then swap it out for a Business hub part number 088315 and I will report back on how that gets on.

Regards

cancunia
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I have the same issue re BT WiFi on my HH6, but have noticed a slight drop in speed since the overnight upgrade to SG4B1000E020. The speed drop may just be be coincidence from the ADSL reset.

I can't see any SSIDs for BT WiFi on my Laptop, or on the WiFi analyser App on my phone so assume that BT WiFI is  not actually active.

jwsg
Rising Star

I haven't spotted any with the same signal strength as my SSID so I'm also thinking / hoping it might not actually be active.

The increase in the attenuation figure is also mentioned on the BT users forum and some of them did see a speed reduction too - but I'm hoping it's just a GUI change as my speed went back to its previous level.

Robert15
Hooked

Thanks for the feed back will wait till you find out more.
Best regards
Robert15
Hooked

Thanks
cancunia
Rising Star

There are only 2 WiFi AP's in range where I live, mine & next door's. Next door also have a HH6 that I installed a few weeks ago, I disabled BT WiFi on their HH6 and can't see any BT SSID from there either, I've not checked but am guessing their firmware is also updated. Perhaps the BT WiFi is only active if you have a BT account. 

Robert15
Hooked

I have ring camera's that need good WiFi so that's why I was looking to upgrade to HH6
cancunia
Rising Star

The WiFi signal on the HH6 is just about as good as any that I've seen, for the price of a used HH6, I doubt you'll get better value. The only downsides I've come across on the HH6 are that you can't set your own DNS and now the possible issue with BT WiFi. The Business Hub version lets you set your own DNS, not sure if it has the same WiFi issue tho. 

mechanic123
Aspiring Pro

One thing I don't understand - who's pushing these firmware updates, Plusnet or BT?

kaash
Hooked

Both companies source hardware from same companies, any issues get feedback to the supplier and they send firmware seperately to both supplier according to what's been told. Both suppliers than push firmware to their routers.
kaash
Hooked

Also just for note HH6 and business HH6 works same way apart from business HH6 have some additional features which is no use for people using internet day to day use. Its extra option for some who are little more into internet more than browsing and watching videos etc. There is some good info here by few well knowledgeable people. Their posts are very comprehensive.
Itneverworks

Sorry to bring all this up again but i have bought a smarthub from currys followed your guide step by step but it just isnt working for me. Explorer just opens page after page there must be 50 so far and it just keeps going it does it straight away as soon as its connected with the patchlead. I put the ip address in i eventually get into the hub manager and over the course of around 2hrs get to the part were “i edit details” but it doesn’t have that option just to reset i continued anyway but still just a solid orange light after 30mins its never changed to anything.
Have you any idea what might be happening?
LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

See my post 41 here

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/BT-Home-Hub-6-Smart-Hub-on-PlusNet/td-p/1349153/page/3

and Poster Baldrick 1 post here (he uses a Business Hub which is same set up)

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/td-p/1587673

Are you connecting your BT Smart Hub for FTTC/ ADSL.  or FTTP.  ?

If FTTP then you will need a Special BT Smart Hub with the Red Port.

Only connect the DSL cable when you about to connect  after entering your username@plusdsl.net and password.

At one stage the router would not accept odd characters in the password like %^&$£@:- etc so the password  had to be changed before connecting.

make sure  you are entering 192.168.1.254 into the address (not search) field of a browser. The 'Home' page will appear.

Only need to reset/Hard reset the router if buying 2nd Hand

ensure  "Smart Set Up" Tab is switched off in router settings.

Robert15
Hooked

As a complete idiot only worked out it's "fibre to the cabinet" but after having a meltdown thanks for the heads up that only connect cable after setting up, will have another go later