cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using the BT Smarthub 6 on a Plusnet Account

kaash
Hooked

Re: Using the BT Smarthub 6 on a Plusnet Account

sorry to jump in, after being with plusnet for past 10 years and being fed-up of wifi issues i start looking into BT Hub but by reading around here has just confused me more. just need a simple answer. i have fiber optic till cabinet and currently using plusnet hub1 Lan speed 76mb and wifi hardly 20mb, changed channels etc but still not much diffrence. 

I have decided to move to BT Hub but can yo please advise if i should go for BT Hub 6 or BT Smart Hub 2 and diffrence between them. 

once again apologies for asking this question here. 

thanks

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

The BT Smart Hubs difference is shown here Basically they are similar with the Smart Hub2 being able to connect to the BT Hub discs.

https://shop.bt.com/learnmore/bt-branded-products-and-services/bt-smart-hub/

With the BT Smart hub2 you are unable to split the 2.4GHz and 5GHz Channel  but are on the BT Smart Hub

Possibly now with the latest firmware update you are not able to switch off Wi-fi with Fon on the router of the Smart Hub this could be a firmware glitch, but waits to be seen on next update.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 416

@kaash 

I would go for the Busness version of the Smarthub 6.  It gives you additional setting options such as you can specify your own choice of DNS server. You can separate the wireless bands, a feature not currently available on the Smarthub 2.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

PaulR777
Hooked

Hope you don’t mind me gate crashing your post or the thread, but I am in a similar position to you and am looking for some assistance and advice. 

I am a long-standing Plusnet  customer and have the super fast broadband package (FTTC) which, where we live works out at about 63Mb. There’s 4 of us living in the house including 2 teenagers who “live” on line. I have  been very happy with Plusnet over the years, but recently the Hub 1 router has been driving me nuts as it’s regularly dropping the 5ghz signal and calls to Plusnet haven’t sorted it. I am 3 months in to an 18 month contract otherwise it’s seriously think about leaving because the wife and kids are giving me lots of grief re the internet. It doesn’t help we have been working from home and the kids have Course work and lectures to follow on line, so it can’t go on and something has to be done!! 

I am not the most technical, but given the fact Plusnet are unlikely to sort out the issues with the Hub1, I have been looking at options including sourcing a new router. I have looked at best buys and reviews galore and it seems a potential solution could be one of the BT products and would like some help to identify the right model. 

In short the router needs to be 

i) easy to set up

ii) must have an option where I can restrict access to individual devices, for example blocking the kids access after a specific time. ( I appreciate it may sound harsh, but they would be up and surfing all night given half the chance) 

iii) not bothered about a guest network, but would want to be able to prevent “public access” as mentioned earlier on the thread. 

Your suggestions on the bst choice would be appreciated. 

Thanks 

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro

With regards to the BT Routers

The BT Smart Hub (Hub6) for home use with the latest firmware update, apparently unless you are a BT customer, you are unable to toggle the BT Wi-fi fon tab off.  (this has only happened recently and may revert back  on next firmware update)

The BT Smart Hub 2 you are unable to split the 5GHz and 2.4GHz bands and also you need to be a BT customer to use the App on your mobile phone to restrict access during certain times. 

With what you are requiring it looks like the BT Smart Hubs are a no no for you.

I am sure Baldrick1 a poster here  who uses a BT Smart Hub Business edition will post his experience.

Others also on here will no doubt offer their recommendations for other brands of Modem/Router in lieu of plusnets.

esoxecosse
Dabbler

I just recently sold my Business Smart Hub to a member on here, I had replaced it with a TP Link VR2800, I have tried loads of different routers and by far this one is the most stable, 66days & 15hrs at present since the last reboot and that was a power cut, the wifi range is excellent, firmware updates don't seem to be very regular but tbh it just works trouble free and the vdsl connection is fast and reliable, I don't know if it covers all the requirements asked but I certainly am happy enough with it, hope this helps.

Baldrick1

@LifeonMars wrote:

With regards to the BT Routers

The BT Smart Hub (Hub6) for home use with the latest firmware update, apparently unless you are a BT customer, you are unable to toggle the BT Wi-fi fon tab off.  (this has only happened recently and may revert back  on next firmware update)

My thoughts on this are here:  https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1723190#M17...

The BT Smart Hub 2 you are unable to split the 5GHz and 2.4GHz bands and also you need to be a BT customer to use the App on your mobile phone to restrict access during certain times. 

True you can't split them but there is a lot of complaints on the BT Forum so things might exchange, who knows? I acknowledge that you can't use the mobile app but suspect that you can still update the settings by logging in in the conventional manner.

I am sure Baldrick1 a poster here  who uses a BT Smart Hub Business edition will post his experience.

In my opinion a Business Smarthub 6 is the way to go. The public WiFi works differently in that it has the option to turn on open Public WiFi, that is, it is not password protected as used in Pubs etc. You have control over this. This is mine, the firmware was updated last month:

Public wifi.png

In terms of access control you can specify that device MAC addresses should always use the same DHCP address and control access times for each IP address as required.

Moderator and Customer

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro

@Baldrick1  for info you can only use the BT mobile app  (Restricted to BT Customers) to apply access controls on the BT Smart Hub 2Screenshot 2020-04-18 at 11.53.30.png

Baldrick1

@LifeonMars 

Thanks, so another reason to get a Smarthub 6 whilst they are still around and cheap. I wonder if all these shenanigans are specifically geared to locking out Plusnet customers without directly upsetting those already using BT kit or just coincidental? One for the conspiracy theorists!

Moderator and Customer

Mack
Grafter

(Before I post my question can anyone help me find the reply button without replying to a specific post ? All the buttons I see are to respond to that specific post instead of a thread as a whole???)

Now for my query, I joined PNet start of the year, and since doing so I have been using my old BT Smart Hub (V1 I think).

One thing I have been observing very lately in the logs (after checking a number of disconnects within a short time frame) is this

(ugh stupid forum cannot make a clear quote block without fiddling with a daft small html box).

13:29:34, 18 Apr.DDNS Status: error (the hostname c***s.ddns.net specified does not exist in this user account or is not in the service specified in the system parameter)

This happens and logs every 5 minutes. Anyone have any ideas as to what is going on ? Because I did not have this issue while on BT, and there is no logical reasoning why this should start with a change of ISP.

If I look on the Dynamic DNS page though it says connected

noip.PNG

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@Mack have you tried logging into the No-IP website to check that the ddns.net domain is still active against your account? I know the free hostnames expire automatically after a while.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Mack
Grafter

@bobpullen Yeah I had already done that, but as a rule of thumb I always renew the day the email lands so it does not lapse.

dalym

@baldrick1, @LifeonMars 

I've just acquired a home hub 6 and following Baldrick's excellent advice it is up and working.

It upgraded to SG4B1000E020 and the point about not being able to disable BTWIFI applies.

What is interesting is that the speed stays at exactly 35M without any variation.  I have since upgraded to the higher speed FTTC offering and the speed has not changed at all, despite rebooting.

I am no conspiracy theorist but this seems a bit odd.  Are BT rate limiting for the sake of the nation?  seems a bit unlikely.

I have since ordered a business hub 6 so when it turns up I will update the thread to let you know whether the speed remains the same.

jwsg
Rising Star

If you change package and the speed remains the same then its worth getting in touch with Plusnet support - I had to have a cap removed - its not a router thing

dalym

Thanks for that - I logged into plusnet and their portal says the download speed is 80M - router still shows 35M.

Speed test shows a bit North of 30Mbits.   I will contact plusnet just to confirm.