Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using a Unifi USG with the Plusnet One Router

RobK
Dabbler

Using a Unifi USG with the Plusnet One Router

Hi

I have been using the Unifi USG with the HG612 modem but recently my speeds have been dropping badly, I plugged my PN router back in as a test and the speeds came back and are now stable, I then tried the HG612 again but after a few hours the speeds start to drop by 50% or more.

How can I use the Unifi USG with the PN Router?
I tried simply plugging in using the WAN1 port on the USG to port 1 on the PN router but no traffic...

Has anyone done this and got it working, if so how?

Thanks

18 REPLIES 18
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 394

Re: Using a Unifi USG with the Plusnet One Router

@RobK  at the moment your USG will be making the PPPoE connection for its WAN connection since the HG612 is just a modem. The Hub one is both a modem and a router and so it will be making the PPPoE connection. Its not possible to configure the Hub one in modem only mode.

To use the USG with the Hub one, you will need to change the USG WAN connection to either DHCP or give it a static IP in the 192.168.1.x subnet ( 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.63 ). You will also need to ensure that the USG LAN is not configured for the same local subnet. This will give you a working connection BUT you will have a double-NAT situation which will make incoming VPN and VOIP connections difficult.

TBH you'd be better trying to source a replacement HG612...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

RobK
Dabbler

thanks.

A BT guy did say they'd stopped doing the HG612 due to issues like this so I'm worried that if I get another one I'll still have the same issue.... 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

They stopped doing the HG612 a long time ago. However its generally accepted as one of the best VDSL modems around.

One reasonably priced alternative is the TPlink TD-w9970 which also has a pretty good modem and although its a combined modem/router is easily configured in bridge(modem only) mode and would replace the HG612. It looks awful though!!!

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/5728882?clickPR=plp:1:36

I've used one in the past.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@RobK wrote:

thanks.

A BT guy did say they'd stopped doing the HG612 due to issues like this so I'm worried that if I get another one I'll still have the same issue.... 

It’s hardly a huge investment risk. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185026017075?epid=854244387&hash=item2b1468f733:g:ceMAAOSw2V5g~rBD

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

RobK
Dabbler

I'm fully aware how much they cost, I want something that's reliable and don't mind if it costs more, I've lost faith in these old modems.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@RobK 

These are reassuringly expensive and I believe will do the same job.  https://www.amazon.co.uk/DrayTek-Vigor-ADSL-VDSL2-Modem/dp/B01BLSXP4M/ref=sr_1_2?adgrpid=53017214797...

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

RobK
Dabbler

I ended up buying another HG612 and this does the same thing, gets slower over 48hrs, ping times go up to 600, download and uploaded speeds drop, the PN router works fine but I need to use my Unifi USG.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@RobK are either of your HG612s unlocked so that you can get line stats and firmware version ?

RobK
Dabbler

Yes, I unlocked the 1st one and it now has an admin interface.
The 2nd one is a refurb and not patched.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@RobK so what's the firmware version ?

and do you see any change in the stats when it slows down e.g interleave depth ?

Seems strange that restarting the HG612 restores the speed. That indicates that its not a DLM change, as that would be semi-permanent and wouldnt recover immediately on a restart. Also using the Hub one restores the speed!

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@RobK  of course we might be barking up the wrong tree and it might be a USG problem ? Has it had an update recently ?

RobK
Dabbler

I did wonder about it being the USG.

we've just moved into a new house and the problems have started since then, the hardware was fine at the old house which had a much better connection (45/8), the new house has a bad and slow connection (12/1) so I'm wondering if either the modem or USG can't handle the slower connection/noise...

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Ah! the old house which had a much better connection (45/8), the new house has a bad and slow connection (12/1)

Have you got Qos enabled somewhere ? with only a 1Mbit upstream there's a good chance of 'bufferbloat'  causing slowdowns and high pings. Qos enabled or with incorrect settings can often cause problems

I'm not sure I could consider moving to a house with only a 12/1 connection🙂

RobK
Dabbler

No QoS.

Strange how the PlusNet router works fine..

I'm on the list for StarLink and also waiting for Fibre to be installed.. which ever comes first 🙂