cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using a FTTP Smarthub 6 on a Plusnet FTTC Service

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Using a FTTP Smarthub 6 on a Plusnet FTTC Service

Further to my previous posts relating to the BT Smarthub 6, see here https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Smart-Hub-6-Variants-and-Performance/m-p/1504366#M5170 and here https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85... I have finally got my hands on a FTTP version so that I could look into the myths and rumours relating to its suitability for use on a Plusnet FTTC service. The results have been quite surprising.

I went through the normal set up procedure (switch off Smart Set Up, enter my Plusnet details then plug in the DSL cable) and it eventually came to life. So:

It does work on a FTTC service

Looking at the status page note:

1. It is correctly reporting that it is connected to BT Infinity (well at least the PN equivalent).
  2. That the firmware had updated and was using SG4B1000B316, which I believe to be also the latest FTTC firmware.

I then tested the Ethernet ports:

Ports 1, 2 and 3 work but port 4 (the WAN labelled one) does not.

I then removed the DSL cable and without resetting the router I installed my spare unlocked Huawei HG612 model 3B between the DSL input from my filter and the router dedicated WAN port (the original LAN 4 socket). After a few minutes it again came to life and started working normally. So:

It works with a bog standard FTTC modem

Looking at the status page note:

1. It is correctly reporting that it is connected to BT Infinity 3 and 4. That is, it acknowledges that there is a separate modem in circuit.
  2. The firmware has not changed.
  3. Up and downstream sync rates are no longer reported.

The upside of this is that when used with the unlocked modem I am able to monitor my line statistics with programs such as DSLstats.

The downside for me is that unlike my Business Smarthub 6 (but as with the residential version) I can’t set my own DNS servers. Presumably there’s a Business FTTP model out there somewhere?

The other thing that I noted is that the sync rate has dropped by just over 1Mbps with an unchanged SNR suggesting that the BT modem is a bit better than the older Huawei one.

It therefore appears to me that the FTTP Smarthub 6 is a FTTC model with no more that the LAN 4 socket simply transferred to the interface between the modem and router interface then labelled WAN. Which makes sense if you think about it.

When used without a Modem

fttp1.png

With HG612 Modem in circuit

fttpm1.png

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

2 REPLIES 2
Bacalhau
Dabbler

Re: Using a FTTP Smarthub 6 on a Plusnet FTTC Service

Thanks. To identify if a Smart Hub is FTTP or FTTC, is the BTB EI number on the back of the box sufficient?

BTB EI/SI 1.1 or BTB EI/SI 4.0 ==> FTTC

BTB EI FTTP 1.0 ==> FTTP

Or do you actually need to open the box and look at the ports on the router?

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: Using a FTTP Smarthub 6 on a Plusnet FTTC Service

@Bacalhau 

I don't know about this number. You can however tell from the part number. For example this FTTP router is Part 084318. 

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'