Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using a 2nd Plusnet Hub1 as a Wireless Access point

bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Re: Using a 2nd Plusnet Hub1 as a Wireless Access point

I've been using my old Plusnet Hub One as a wireless access point for 6 days.  My devices mostly use 5 GHz wifi. Today though, I ran some speed tests and observed the speeds over 5 GHz were well below normal. It wouldn't to exceed 25 Mbps.  No such problems on 2.4 GHz and via hard wired ethernet which were 45 Mbps for my upto 55/10mb legacy service.   I checked the speeds on multiple devices including various wireless laptops and via wireless bridges.

I logged into the Hub One and the 5 GHz wireless settings hadn't changed. Still using same channel number which I'd been using for past 5 years, and the 5 GHz band isn't congested where I live.

Next, I disabled and re-enabled the 5 GHz wifi in the Hub's menus.  It made no difference to the speed test results on 5 GHz band which surprised me.

Finally, I power cycled the Hub One.  5 GHz speed test results returned to normal.

This is the same reliable hub I've been using to run LEDE(OpenWRT) as a wireless access point for past 2 years.  A sudden significant loss of speed was never something I noticed (although there are other issues using LEDE).

I've seen posts in the past on both Plusnet and BT forum where some owners of HH5/HubOne had reported wifi speeds falling off after a period of use as a normal router. I can only speculate I was witnessing the same issue in wireless access point mode.

The firmware on my Hub One is using very old firmware 4.7.5.1.83.8.217.1.1 from 2016 and it could be a firmware bug causing the above issue.  It may be fixed in a later release.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
meatloaf01
Dabbler

Good Afternoon- I used this method to create an access point. It worked really.

I’ve just set up my router to give me both 2.4GHz and 5 GHz Wi-Fi.

If I did the same to the router that I’m using as an access point will it give me 5GHz from the access point?

wairds
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

I am trying the method as detailed by DS on 04-02-2017 at 12:52 using a BT Smart Hub as the primary and the Plusnet Hub One as the secondary.

The ethernet cable into the secondary hub comes from a Powerline adapter and I plug it into the red (WAN) port on the Plusnet hub. If I plug it into one of yellow ports the broadband light flashes.

The Plusnet hub seems to start up ok but after a couple of minutes turns to a solid orange light. Which appears to indicate no internet access.

When I switch the Plusnet Hub back to the old (Edimax) router everything is fine and so i am happy with the connections up to the hub.

As you can probably tell from the tone of this post Iam not an expert in this field but would appreciate any assistance.

Thanks in anticipation.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

If you think about it the 2nd unit doesn't have direct internet access, that's all handled by the 1st unit now. All the 2nd unit is doing is distributing the data that comes in from the Ethernet cable. The important question has to be: does it work? You should be connected via yellow LAN connectors at both ends and if the light irritates you then sticky tape is recommended.

If you are getting slow data rates from the second unit then your first port of call should be your Powerline units. Unless they are both connected on the same domestic mains ring they can severely throttle your speed.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

wairds
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Thank you for your response. I was taking the lights as indication of functionality, and not checking if it was actually working!

It is now.

meatloaf01
Dabbler

I posted this question a few weeks ago. I’ve just set up my router to give me both 2.4GHz and 5 GHz Wi-Fi. It works really well But If I did the same to the router that I’m using as an access point will it give me 5GHz from the access point?

dgp
Rising Star

No reason why not. Give it a go!

Baldrick1

@meatloaf01 wrote:

I posted this question a few weeks ago. I’ve just set up my router to give me both 2.4GHz and 5 GHz Wi-Fi. It works really well But If I did the same to the router that I’m using as an access point will it give me 5GHz from the access point?

I assume that you are referring to separating the bands? If so yes, it will work exactly the same way. At the moment it will be transmitting both but they will be synchronised.

Moderator and Customer

maulz
Grafter

5g and  2.4gz Wi-Fi will theoretically  be almost the same at your access point as at your  primary point if you use an Ethernet cable to connect the 2 together . If you ùse anything else like mains adapters then  you will suffer whatever losses  they put into the equation. I would suggest running a speed test at the various  points to see the differences. I would test at the primary on Ethernet and then  Wi-Fi  both sorts. Then test at the power adapter and then at the second access point.  You can download a free speed test app. Do it with nothing else taking bandwidth.

meatloaf01
Dabbler

Hi Grafter

The access point is linked to the router via TP Link mains adaptors and the respective Ethernet cables. Speed at the access point is not too critical but often two iPads are in use at the same time in the same room. We have noticed an improvement in speed when using the iPads adjacent to the router and it is more stable than the 2.4GHz option. My main 'fear' is in changing the settings on the access point and losing what we've got. The main router is at one end of the house, in the work room with the desk top connected by Ethernet, a few metres from the main living rooms and not in direct line of sight. The access point works really well it was stability more than anything that I was  seeking. Thanks for your response.

deanmrd
Grafter

Is the anyway to stop the B light from flashing on the front of the sagecom router
See attached

Thanks

DeanO
Baldrick1

Unless you’re prepared to break into the case and cut a printed circuit track then all you can do is stick a piece of tape or similar over it.

Moderator and Customer