Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using TP Link Archer C50 AC1200 router with Fibre

Phil72
Hooked

Using TP Link Archer C50 AC1200 router with Fibre

Hi all.
I'm having the dreaded 5Ghz problem with my standard issue Plusnet Hub One and wondered if this TP link router is compatible with Plusnet Fibre Extra? All I want to do is switch off WiFi on my Hub 1 to get rid of the 5Ghz timeout problem which is still plaguing me and let another router serve the whole house and just have the Plusnet Hub One in modem mode. I've seen this TP Link router on Amazon and it would be a cheap and easy way to solve this frustrating issue, but only if it's compatible to bridge across from the Hub One's ethernet port 1. Can someone confirm please before I purchase. If it's not compatible, can anyone suggest a good alternative? Thankyou.

Here's the link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B075PDLQ2Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_X5BMJ995EZ5S3S7PPY4W?_encoding=UT...
10 REPLIES 10
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Using TP Link Archer C50 AC1200 router with Fibre

@Phil72  Welcome to the forum.

You cannot use a Hub One as a bridge modem.

You could set up the. Tp Link as a Wireless Access Point but you will lose use of the other router facilities that this router provides. An alternative is to replace the Hub One with a VDSL modem.

A cheaper option that many of us use is to get a BT Smarthub 6 from an auction site. See https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-A-BT-Smarthub-An-Update/m-p/1795292#M24601

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Phil72
Hooked

Thanks for this. I'll look into that. Some guides give conflicting advice as to whether you can use this router, and if you can only use it as an access point it seems a bit of a waste. I'd rather just get an alternative modem router as an all in one. Good to know there is an alternative. I take it the 5Ghz issue is still a bugbear for a lot of customers judging by the thread on it.
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

@Phil72  as you have discovered the issues with the Hub 1, have you got your name down for the upgrade?

There is one on it's way, that said a Hub 6 is a cheap and easy upgrade, or you could go for a VDSL version of the TP - Link, but also consider wireless performance - AC1200 is not as good as the PN Hub or the BT SmartHub 6.

Baldrick1

@Phil72 
The Hub One has issues. A firmware update has been promised for months but is yet to be rolled out. There is also a noise problem with some. For very little money it can be replaced with a Smarthub, which doesn’t suffer from these problems and has better WiFi.

Moderator and Customer

Phil72
Hooked

Thanks @Mustrum
I think given the time it seems to be taking rolling out the firmware it'll be easier in the long run to just swap out to a BT Hub 6 as described.
Phil72
Hooked

Thanks again @Baldrick1
Just one question for now, is the BT Business Smarthub the same as the BT Smart Hub 6?
Baldrick1

@Phil72 

It is different in that it has different firmware with more features such as the ability to use your own choice of DNS servers. I use one. All Smarthubs can be configured to work with Plusnet ADSL and fibre services. The Smarthub 2 can be used but you lose the ability to separate the wireless bands.

Moderator and Customer

Phil72
Hooked

@Baldrick1 Yeah, I'll be wanting to separate the 2.4 and 5 networks so I'll definitely get a Hub 6. There's one I've seen which has the item code 088315 BTB EI/SI 8. I take it this is the right one. I'd like the ability to change DNS servers.
Baldrick1

@Phil72 

Yes that will do the job.

Moderator and Customer

Phil72
Hooked

Hi there again @Baldrick1 and many thanks for your patience and advice in recommending the BT Business Superhub 6. Took delivery of it the other day and I'm now up and running with a MUCH improved WiFi signal so far, so fingers crossed.

I just have one little query. I followed your guides which were excellent, however, I switched off public WiFi altogether yet still seem to have two BT WiFi options kicking around in the list of selectable SSIDs. I don't know whether they're mine or not but I don't recall seeing them before. One is BTWifi, the other is BTWifi-X and every time I leavdcthd house now I'm asked if I want to join the BTWifi one?! The signal strengths aren't as powerful as my main Plusnet one so something tells me they aren't mine?

I guess it's nothing to worry about as in others connecting up to my service as I've definitely switched all radio buttons to off under the public WiFi option on the Hub home screen and it's greyed out, but I guess I just want some reassurance this is normal.

Does it carry on broadcasting the BT options even though they're now unconnectable?