Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Icotera i4850 as own router

FIXED
Sklarby
Hooked

Using Icotera i4850 as own router

Hi,

First time user of the plusnet forums, thought I'd give them a try. I've been using PlusNet's own Hub One router for a few months now but the WiFi signal is pretty [-Censored-] poor to be honest so wanted to attempt at using my own router that I have spare via work which was an Icotera i4850. 

I browsed the section via the website about using your own router, and configured the Icotera with the relevant username and password making sure the authentication method was set to CHAP but no luck.

Curious if anyone on here has ever used an Icotera router with their Plusnet connection?

17 REPLIES 17
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Using Icotera i4850 as own router

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@Sklarby 

A very quick look online appears to show that the Icotera is a router only. If so, you'd need a modem in front of it.

Brian

Sklarby
Hooked

Hi Brian,

Think I know the answer to this one already but guessing you cannot use the Hub One in "modem only mode"?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Think I know the answer to this one already

@Sklarby and you would be right...

Assuming your connection is Fibre(FTTC) then modem options are

a used Openreach HG612 modem from ebay

a TP link W9970, configured in bridge (modem only) mode

a Draytek vigor 130

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bmc
Hero

@Sklarby 

I suspect you're correct but don't quote me on that.

You could see if there are any original white OpenReach modems (HG612) available on auction sites. Failing that, check for BT SmartHubs - they can be used on PlusNet.

Brian

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Failing that, check for BT SmartHubs - they can be used on PlusNet.

but dont you need the Business version to be able to configure in bridge mode ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@MisterW 

Yes.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

bmc
Hero

I was actually suggesting the BT SmartHub might do for WiFi. Totally and utterley failed to make that clear. Oops!

Brian

Sklarby
Hooked

If I have to purchase something, I'll probably look to purchase something that can function as both modem & router rather than buy a modem just to test I a spare router I had lying around. 

I'll browse the interwebs to find a decent one, thanks for your help/advice everyone Smiley 

bmc
Hero

@Sklarby 

A BT business SmartHub would give the best of both worlds and probably be the cheapest option. You could try it's WiFi and, if not happy, try it in bridge mode with the Icotera. Apart from that, any VDSL modem/router might do.

The PlusNet HubOne is a re-badged BT HH5 so is several years old. There are rumours PlusNet will be introducing a new router later this year along side a commercial FTTP product. However, until there's an announcement  these are only rumours. I wouldn't expect the new router to be handed out to existing customers except when they re-contract (and probably ask!!).

Brian

Sklarby
Hooked

Hi all,

Went through a different route instead, disabled the wifi on my Hub One and hooked up my Icotera via LAN > LAN to the Hub One and utilising the wifi on the Icotera instead. Will test out over the next 24 hours to see if it gives improved results over wifi.

Only remaining question, was I wanted to change the DNS settings on the HubOne to use Cloudflare instead of Plusnets own DNS servers but this doesn't seem to be an option and having hunted around some previous forums it seems this setting is locked to default on the HubOne and we're unable to change this. Just wondering if this is still the case? Forums I read were a few years outdated.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Fix

Just wondering if this is still the case?

It is.

In your configuration you might be able to use the Icotera as the DHCP/DNS server. You need to be able to configure its DHCP server so that it hands out the Hub one ( 192.168.1.254 ) as the default gateway , rather trhan itself. If that's possible , then disable the DHCP server on the Hub one, configure the Icotera DHCP for the 192.168.1.x subnet , set the default gateway and set the DNS servers you require.

I've seen it done using the DHCP server on a Pi but it should work on the Icotera

bmc
Hero

@Sklarby 

At least you can use the Icotera to confirm it's suitable for your WiFi needs.

Brian

Sklarby
Hooked

Ended up following through with @MisterW's idea. Configured the Icotera as a DHCP/DNS server, also changed the physical setup so the Icotera WAN port now connects to the LAN port on the Hub One, with the Icotera just NAT'ing it's traffic out towards the Hub One. 

Icotera is now using Cloudflare's DNS servers, and wifi seems to be performing better so far! 

Thanks for the assistance all. Everything looks to be sorted now Smiley 

P.S. definitely had a better experience on here than I have previously speaking to PlusNet support over the phone...will use the forums more often in the future!