Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using BT Home Hub 6 as Wireless Access Point

cancunia
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Using BT Home Hub 6 as Wireless Access Point

There are a few threads on this subject, mainly on the BT web site, but as I'm a Plusnet User I thought I'd ask about it here.

Has anyone successfully used a HH6 as a WAP?

There are 2 main problems that I've come across:

1, My BT  HH6 regularly resets itself if there is no ADSL connection. Maybe this is different for BT Business or FTTC versions?

2, DHCP requests are not forwarded correctly, this is a problem for Android and possibly Apple phones.

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Using BT Home Hub 6 as Wireless Access Point

@cancunia 

I had a go a long time ago and had problems with DHCP requests getting lost. It only seemed to work of I double NATed, See this thread, the link takes you to my conclusion.  https://community.plus.net/t5/Everything-else/Configuring-a-BT-SmartHub-6A-as-an-Etherner-Switch-Rou...

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

cancunia
Rising Star

Thanks for the swift reply Baldrick1, I hoped / wondered if anyone had a workaround to the conclusions you came to.

It's possible but not ideal to set static IP addresses on Android phones, but then there remains the issue of the HH6 resetting itself.

cancunia
Rising Star

I've just had a reply over on the BT forum, apparently someone with a BT Business hub has not had the same problems.

markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 12

Would swapping the two devices (so replacing the Plusnet Hub One with your Home Hub 6 using the instructions in this part of the forum) be worth a go ?

The WAN port of the Hub One could connect to a LAN port on the Home Hub 6.

I am the satisfied customer....
cancunia
Rising Star

It might get around some of the problems but would bring others. I've just noticed there's a 111 page thread about problems with the Hub One which is a re badged HH5. The HH6 is technically a much superior device, it's just a bit of a shame about the firmware. 

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@cancunia 

Tell us more about the Smarthub resetting itself if there's no ADSL connection.

Do you really mean this in as much as it loses your Plusnet credentials and reverts to the BT one's if the line drops? If so then that's a new one on me. Have you left Smart Setup enabled? I didn't think that is involved but I'm clutching at straws.

Alternatively you are not referring to the daily TR069 connection or fortnightly soft restart that some models go through?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

cancunia
Rising Star

Regarding the resets, maybe restart would have been a better term:

I've read elsewhere & also seen on my own HH6 that if there is no Broadband connection, which will be the case when using the HH6 as a WAP, the HH6 will periodically restart in order to try and re-establish a connection. In my case, it was approx every 10 mins.