If it helps this is from a Hub One TR069 log entry

CWMP: Server URL: https://pbthdm.bt.mo

Dan.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Re: Using A BT Smarthub, An Update

Whilst elements of the platform are shared, TR069 updates for BT devices are co-ordinated by BT. I'm unable to comment on what the current state of play is in terms of what firmware version etc. is the latest for BT devices. You'd be better seeking that info over on the BT forums.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

JmrY66ale

@Baldrick1 this is all really helpful thank you.  However I have a different problem.

Acquired a BT Smart Hub 2 to give me broadband and wi fi in the garage off a phone pont with the house using the PlusNet router.  Follow2ing your guide whihc took a few times, as you said, I have it working in the garage.  However it appears that when working the PlusNet router in the house does not and resorts to flashing orange with "b".    Whilsy I don't understand the issue on splitting the channels my version doesn't give the option to do so as I sensed this might be solution given mention of people having trouble with both routers working at the same time.

Any help welcome if you or others have come across this angle.  For now I have to disconnecty the DSL line to SmartHUb in the garage to have my PlusNet working in the house

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@JmrY66ale  Welcome to the forum.

For a start you cannot connect two hubs to the incoming DSL so this arrangement simply will not work. What you need to do is set the Smarthub up as  the main unit, preferably located at the master socket location. Set this up first and check that it is working.

The Plusnet hub should then be located at the other location but set up as an Access Point. See https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-a-2nd-Plusnet-Hub1-as-a-Wireless-Access-point/m-p/1385...

Having done this the two must be interconnected by a separate Ethernet cable plugged into one of the LAN sockets at each unit. You cannot use a telephone extension, or indeed telephone extension cable.

You are quite correct, you cannot split the bands on a Smarthub 2.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

JmrY66ale

Ah ok - my limited technical knowledge led me to think this whole query related to running two routers off the phone line albeit through two different sockets.  I started out, when recently moving into a stone cottage with separate stone garage, thinking I would need to bury an ethernet cable in the ground or overhead to connect a router in the garage but when I saw a phone point in the garage I naively thought it would work to run a second router off it.  I am using a Devolo wi fi extension in the garage though, plugged into the power point which I didn't expect to work but does though a bit patchy and troublesome sometimes. So if I've got this now I really have three options:

1. Have only one router in use at once (interestingly the PlusNet router at the main phone point in the house reverts back to ornage light whenever the Smart Hub 2 connects) whihc is fine as I'm either working in office in garage or in the house and onyl takes a few minutes to switch.
  2. Link the two places with an etherent cable either underground or overhead - its only about 6 metres however very thick stone walls!
  3. Pay for a second BT line into the garage for busienss use which I'm guessing is expensive

I'm guessing there isn't a fourth option to use a different provider as sensing it would never work with two routers on the same phone line.

Thanks again

Baldrick1

@JmrY66ale 

The point of this thread is to help people replace their Hub One with the better Smarthub. Going through your options:

1. Just don’t even think about it, it will lead to line slow downs and possibly other grief.

2. By far the best solution. With limited DIY skills you can install Ethernet cable and terminate it yourself. Ethernet cable is only about 5mm diameter so only needs a small hole. If you want more advice on this then just ask.

3. This is an option but will require a new line to be installed to your property, you cannot run two services on one incoming line. Installation is not expensive but then of course you have the two separate services, which can with different ISPs should you prefer, to pay for.

Moderator and Customer

Ben1
Grafter

Sorry to elbow in on someone else's thread and I apologise if this info exists somewhere else, but: will Plusnet send me a Hub 2 automatically, or must I apply for one? Thanks to Baldrick1's and others assistance, I bought a BT Homehub a few months ago, which (now it seems to have settled down( I am happy with, but I thought that  plusher-iossued device with a Plusnet service would be best.

Thanks.

Baldrick1

@Ben1 

Plusnet will only send one if you are taking out a new contract. Even then you have to ring the Customer Options Team on 0800 013 2632.

See here for a comparison. https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1850922#M30...

The only thing to add is if you currently have a residential BT Smarthub you can't choose your own DNS resolvers, whilst you can on the new Plusnet Hub 2.

Moderator and Customer

Ben1
Grafter

Ah, thanks. I think I will stick with the BT one then.

Midcreek

Hi, I'm new to Plusnet (joined 2 days ago).

I've already rejected the Plusnet Hub Two for similar reasons to my previous rejection of the BT Smarthub 2, and have reinstalled my older BT Homehub 6 (i.e. Smarthub 1) instead.  I didn't see this thread until afterward but I had no problem setting the Homehub 6 up to work with Plusnet.  There's little difference between BT's Homehub 6 and their Smarthub 2 on which the Plusnet Hub 2 is based, but the older BT version does not have some of the drawbacks of the Model 2s.

Plusnet also said that their previous router was not as good as the BT Homehub 6, and if I couldn't use their Hub 2 then to stick with the BT one.  I've spent ages trying to get round the deficiencies of the model 2s from both BT and Plusnet so I've listed my experiences below for anyone who might be interested.

I originally had a BT Home Hub 6 (Smarthub 1) and found it to be an excellent device.  I was persuaded by BT to upgrade to a Smarthub 2, and after struggling with it I rejected it and reinstalled the earlier one.  Reasons?  (1) Inability to have separate SSIDs; (2) It wouldn't communicate properly across my LAN when I re-used the Homehub 6 as an access point; (3) It emitted TWO wifi signals in the 2.4GHz band, on the same channel and with the same strength.

The extra wifi signal had its SSID "hidden", but it showed up on my wifi signal detector, and had  an almost identical MAC address as the Smarthub 2 itself.  I'm certain it was the "BT Hotspot" signal, even though I'd opted out of that facility, and when I changed the 2.4GHz channel to avoid interference the "hidden" wifi signal followed my changes!  I spent hours on the phone with BT technical but they didn't understand it and after much trying they could do nothing about it.

Now Plusnet.  After all the hassle with the Smarthub 2 and getting BT to revert to my previous contract, I dropped them when the contract ran out.  I installed the new Plusnet router knowing that it also could not separate the SSIDs but I'd found a way of coping with that. Then I found that  Plusnet have converted one of the four Ethernet ports to WAN, leaving only 3 for Ethernet.  This is different from the almost identical BT Smarthub 2!  I persevered for a bit, but when I found that the Plusnet Hub 2 was also emitting a duplicate 2.4GHz wifi signal I called Plusnet and informed them that I believe their Hub 2 is still emitting BT Hotspot wifi signals.  They also had no answer.

PIusnet advised that their previous router was not as good as the BT Homehub 6 and that if their Hub 2 was unsuitable then my best option was to re-use the BT one.  So, I yet again installed it, with my Plusnet account name and password this time, and got everything working again - and still with the same speed that I had with BT.  

Because my house does not allow wifi signals to pass through the walls easily, my home network has two BT Hub 5 routers configured as Access Points (they are really good for this task, and also have split SSIDs), a hub for my security system, and a connection for streaming to my TV - hence the need for 4 Ethernet ports.

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Welcome to the forum.  🙂

@Midcreek wrote:

...the Plusnet Hub 2 was also emitting a duplicate 2.4GHz wifi signal I called Plusnet and informed them that I believe their Hub 2 is still emitting BT Hotspot wifi signals.  They also had no answer.

Ah, interesting. That would explain the double trace on my WiFi analyser when I installed the Hub 2. It was only ordered to keep as a spare, so no real concern, and it's unlikely to be spotted at the end of my quiet cul-de-sac.  😉

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@Midcreek wrote:

Then I found that  Plusnet have converted one of the four Ethernet ports to WAN, leaving only 3 for Ethernet.  This is different from the almost identical BT Smarthub 2! 

Depends what variant you're talking about. BT supply a version of the SH2 for FTTP customers with the fourth LAN port repurposed in the same way (although I think there is a toggle to switch between LAN/WAN in the Hub Manager).

I persevered for a bit, but when I found that the Plusnet Hub 2 was also emitting a duplicate 2.4GHz wifi signal I called Plusnet and informed them that I believe their Hub 2 is still emitting BT Hotspot wifi signals.  They also had no answer.

Nothing to do with BT-Wi-Fi/hostspots. It's the backhaul for the mesh functionality (what BT market as Complete Wi-Fi).

Because my house does not allow wifi signals to pass through the walls easily, my home network has two BT Hub 5 routers configured as Access Points (they are really good for this task, and also have split SSIDs), a hub for my security system, and a connection for streaming to my TV - hence the need for 4 Ethernet ports.

Sure you're aware but for the benefit of others, a cheap switch can be used to increase the volume of ethernet ports. I have > 10 devices wired back to my Hub Two.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@bobpullen wrote:

Nothing to do with BT-Wi-Fi/hostspots. It's the backhaul for the mesh functionality (what BT market as Complete Wi-Fi).

Thanks for the clarification Bob.  🙂

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Midcreek

Thanks for the information and clarification, Bob.

Plusnet stated that the WAN port couldn't be used for Ethernet, so I presume that it isn't switchable and that there isn't a Hub 2 version with 4 Ethernet ports.  Yes, I could add a switch to share an Ethernet port, just didn't want to add another piece of kit.

As for the mesh functionality, surely that should be switchable, or even turned off altogether if Plusnet are not using it?

Emmalee77

I’m hoping someone can help as I’m getting rather frustrated. I am attempting to set up a BT smart hub 2 with my plusnet account. I’ve done this successfully previously on a hub5 but this one doesn’t play ball. I’ve repeatedly done factory resets and changed the default address to my plusnet one. Plugged in the cable at the recommended point and it still flips back to the bt address.

The only part of the instructions I can’t seem to complete is I don’t seem to have a smart setup option to disable on the router page.