cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using A BT Smarthub, An Update

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Using A BT Smarthub, An Update

Get someone with a BT account to see if they can connect to it.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

bugbear
Grafter

OK; update; the BT Hub 4 ran for sevens days without any issues. The signal strength around the house is a good deal lower than the Hub 6.

I have now obtained a Hub 5, and have configured it. The signal strength seems better than the 4. Another seven day test lies ahead of me.

I am using the power supply and ADSL filter that came with the 4 for the 5; these are NOT the same as I was using for the 6, and my next planned test (depending on how the 5 does) is to use this filter/PSU combo on the 6.

BugBear

John_Hull
Aspiring Pro

@Baldrick1 An update in relation to some devices dropping out of wifi unless I restarted the BT Hub:

I noticed that it was most often my wife's Samsung phone doing this, so did a bit of Googling. I read a post on the Samsung support forum which suggested switching the wifi to Mode 2. I tried that, and the phone immediately connected (without restarting the hub). I'll  monitor for a bit, and see if it affects  anything else (Mode 2 disables some advanced features - I don't know what - hopefully it will solve this problem, without creating others 😊)

John

Baldrick1

@John_Hull 

Thanks for the update. To save anyone else having to search for the meaning of Mode 2. https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/what-is-the-wireless-mode-feature-on-my-bt-smart-hub-

Out of interest had you split the bands and tried each in turn?

Moderator and Customer

John_Hull
Aspiring Pro

@Baldrick1 no, I hadn't gotten around to splitting the bands. In all honesty, I was putting it off, because of the idea of connecting every device I have (twice) was a bit of a faff. As a matter of interest, can you connect an Amazon Echo to more than one wifi?

I will bite the bullet and do it, if the mode 2 thing doesn't work.

bugbear
Grafter

The Hub 5 ran (as I sort of expected) without trouble for 7 days.

I have now started the final experiment, using the Hub 6 (which failed before) but with the power supply and ADSL filter that have just run for 14 days straight with the Hub 4 and Hub 5.

This (in effect) attempts to isolate the hub 6 fault to "power supply/filter" OR "the hub"

BugBear

bugbear
Grafter

After 5 days, the hub 6 reset itself, and then did so again after a further 10 minutes.

So - "it's the hub 6", or at least the hub 6 in combination with "something" in my situation.

The Hub 5 will now be re-installed, and will be my long term router.

BugBear

bugbear
Grafter

Hub 5 in continuous use since my last post, no resets/reboots/crashes, still going.

BugBear

Shropahirelad

Hi baldrick. Thanks for instructions very simple to follow up and sorted my awful WiFi. But… for some reason the 2.4ghz band is no longer working. I have separated them as instructions and it was working like a dream. Now no devices in house dan connect to internet using the 2.4ghz channel. It connects to wireless but says no internet even though the router is connected and And I can get internet on 5ghz. I tried factory reset and it worked for a bit and then same problem about ten minutes later. I can obviously just use 5ghz but I have a big old place so for some devices the 2.4ghz is going to be better. Firmware says March 2020 is that most up to date? Any advice welcome. Maybe just a duff device?
Baldrick1

@Shropahirelad 

This is a new one on me. It’s very unlikely to be the firmware but which version are you on?

What happens if you re-synchronise the bands, do any devices connect at 2.4 GHz and work? If you go to the network devices page it will tell you?

Moderator and Customer

LouJohn619

I've followed all instructions, and it's all worked however I also have a lower downstream speed to normal.
Around 38, should be close to double that, as it was on the plusnet router.

No amount of restarting or anything seems to matter.

I'm out of options, there are no line errors.
All was fine on the previous router.

What can I do?

EDIT, router restarted itself and is now fine.
Tom10
Hooked

Hi All. Some time ago I bought a BT Business Hub 6 as recommended and ditched the plusnet router. There has been a vast improvement ever since but I still struggle getting a good reliable wifi signal at the end of the house remote from the router. Is there a way I can use the Plusnet Router (positioned at the far end of the house) if I run a cat 6 cable between the two? I think I need to set up the Plusnet Router differently. As I have split the frequencies on the BT router how do i go on with the Plusnet Router or do I have to invest in some mesh system?

teamdb
Grafter

cat 5/5e would suffice, cat6 is overkill.

However moot point as I previously tried something similar with my old hub one as a master and another ap as a slave, gave up as seemed there was something in the hubone that prevented any attempt of a bridge mode...

Might work with the other way round and wouldn't be any harm in trying, Regarding split frequencies, either split in a similar manner, and name the same or better still, split and name slightly differently, device will still connect to the stronger signal should one drop out.

Baldrick1

@Tom10 

The hub one can be set as an access point and works fine. See here for settings. https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-a-2nd-Plusnet-Hub1-as-a-Wireless-Access-point/m-p/1385...
You can either set the wireless SSIDs to be the same as used by your Smarthub or, if this causes any problems, use different names. Try both options. It all depends on your connected devices whether you need to split the bands or need to use different SSIDs.

Using any sort of wireless extender will not work as well as a proper mesh system but you pay your money and make your choice. 
As @teamdb says, CAT 6 cable is overkill, use 5E.

Moderator and Customer

Tom10
Hooked

Hi Baldrick 1. Tried the procedure posted and it seems to be working. However, on the Plusnet Router the display is Orange and the broadband light is flashing continuously. Should this be the normal blue?