cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use spare plusnet hub one as a wireless WiFi extender / bridge

JohnnyPP

Use spare plusnet hub one as a wireless WiFi extender / bridge

Hi all,
I'm of limited technical knowledge, especially in this field, however I like to learn. I've recently acquired a new plusnet hub one router and wondered whether I can make use of old plusnet hub one to better spread my WiFi around my house? I've watched several videos and read some articles but still remain a little unclear. I don't want to connect my routers via ethernet cable, this isn't practical I wondered whether they could work wirelessly for the 'spare' router to pick up and push WiFi signal further round the house? If not I think power line extenders are my next step. Thanks in advance for any advice given.
7 REPLIES 7
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Use spare plusnet hub one as a wireless WiFi extender / bridge

I don't want to connect my routers via ethernet cable, this isn't practical I wondered whether they could work wirelessly for the 'spare' router to pick up and push WiFi signal further round the house? If not I think power line extenders are my next step.

Its not possible to connect them wirelessly I'm afraid. If an ethernet cable is not an option, then connecting via a pair of powerline extenders would be possible, although some powerline extenders can be bought with built in wireless access points and may be a simpler option.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Xspye

I recently used a cheap pair of power line extenders for this very purpose and it worked a treat. They were older ethernet versions from eBay for £5 - but have increased coverage brilliantly..
chandu
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

@Xspye  thank you for the information.  Would appreciate if you can supply the brand and the  eBay seller's details for the power line extenders.

Many regards,

Chandu.

Xspye

I've got a pair of TP link AV600s. It was a private sale rather than an eBay shop (they aren't selling anything at the moment!)

Just seen a similar set on Facebook marketplace for £15 for 4 power line adapters
chandu
Rising Star

@Xspye Thank you very much for your information.  It is worth knowing what to look for.

Many regards,

Chandu.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@chandu 

Just bcause powerline units work in one property doesn't mean that they will definitely work for you, see https://community.plus.net/t5/Tech-Help-Software-Hardware-etc/Powerline-Unit-Performance/m-p/1607450...

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

chandu
Rising Star

@Baldrick1 

Thank you very much for the information on powerline usage's possible restrictions etc. It is much appreciated.

Many regards,

Chandu.