Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use a BT Hub 2, 3, 4 or 5 on a Plusnet connection

NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Use a BT Hub 2, 3, 4 or 5 on a Plusnet connection

Hi,
I have done a post on this a few years ago, but that was outdated.
Okay, so you want to use a BT hub 2, 3, 4 or 5 on your Plusnet connection?
If you are using a used hub, it is recommended that you factory reset your hub, to do so there is a little pin on the rear of the hub, pop a paperclip etc... into the hole (whilst the hub is on) and keep it firmly pushed in for 10 seconds. The hub should restart. This will wipe any data or settings on the hub.
ADSL Connections
1) To use on a ADSL connection, simply grab an RJ11 cable (usually a grey cable) and pop this into the hub's DSL port, the other end into the microfilter.
2) Pop the power cable in and turn on the hub.  Wait for it to boot up.
Your hub will have a flashing 'B' light either red/purple or orange (depending on version of hub)
3) Insert an ethernet cable from one of the yellow ports (not the red port) and insert into your computer.
4) Open a web browser and enter or click on the link - http://bthomehub.home/  OR 192.168.1.254/  These links direct you to the hub's configuration pages.
5)Along the tab, you'll see 'Settings' click on this.  You'll be prompted for a password, or creating a new password if you reset the hub.  Enter your password.  To create a new password, enter your default admin password (found on removable card or underneath hub.)
6) Click on 'Enter your Broadband username and password' Which is the last option on the list.
7) You'll then see spaces to enter your username and password.  These will be your member centre username I.E Plusnet2015 was your member centre login, you'll enter plusnet2015@plusdsl.net as the username on the BT Hub.  Your password will be the one you use to log into the member centre. For more into visit https://portal.plus.net/my.html?s=0&action=refresh_browser (login required)
Cool Then press connect
You should then be connected.
Fibre Connection
To use on a Fibre connection on the hub 2, 3, 4 you will need a Openreach modem.  On the hub 5, the Openreach modem is not required. You will need Type B Hub 2 to use on Fibre connection as Type A Hub 2 does not have the red WAN port.
1) To use on a Fibre connection, on all hubs before hub 5, you get the ethernet cable from the Openreach modem and plug it into the red WAN port.  If you are using the Hub 5, plug RJ11 cable directly into the master socket (if you have a pre-filtered socket) or into a microfilter if you are doing a self install.  Then the other end into the Hub 5's DSL port.
2) Pop the power cable in and turn on the hub.  Wait for it to boot up.
Your hub will have a flashing 'B' light either red/purple or orange (depending on version of hub)
3) Insert an ethernet cable from one of the yellow ports (not the red port) and insert into your computer.
4) Open a web browser and enter or click on the link - http://bthomehub.home/  OR 192.168.1.254/  These links direct you to the hub's configuration pages.
5)Along the tab, you'll see 'Settings' click on this.  You'll be prompted for a password, or creating a new password if you reset the hub.  Enter your password.  To create a new password, enter your default admin password (found on removable card or underneath hub.)
6) Click on 'Enter your Broadband username and password' Which is the last option on the list.
7) You'll then see spaces to enter your username and password.  These will be your member centre username I.E Plusnet2015 was your member centre login, you'll enter plusnet2015@plusdsl.net as the username on the BT Hub.  Your password will be the one you use to log into the member centre. For more into visit https://portal.plus.net/my.html?s=0&action=refresh_browser (login required)
Cool Then press connect
You should then be connected.
If you require any assistance, please PM me or leave a message and I'll do my best to help.
NorthEasterner  Smiley
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
158 REPLIES 158
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Re: Use a BT Hub 2, 3, 4 or 5 on a Plusnet connection

Mod- please can this be made a sticky?
NE
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
Fergazi

Hi there,
I've followed your steps and the wifi network i am now connected to is called BTHUB5-(oldwifiname). Should the network not be called Plusnet-Whatever?
Regards
Fergazi

Also i had to keep the BT modem in despite being a fibre connection. Shocked
Grezzer36
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Hi Fergazi. I have had a BT Hub 5 connected to my PN fibre for 5 months without BT modem as per NorthEasterner's instructions & works fine. Did you do factory reset before setting up?
The "BTHub5....." wifi name is correct. You can change it to anything you want if necessary.
I'm sure you'll get plenty of advice here if you still have any queries. Smiley
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.
There's a lot going on here and not online as much as I used to be,
Grezzer36 has got you covered, you can use any WiFi name you wish.
Regards
NE
geriatrix
Hooked

Can I just add, that for the BT Homehub 5 you cannot change the original BT user name on the Settings page, as it keeps reverting back to the BT setting. At least, it did that for me!
You need to then go into Advanced Settings, and then select  'Enter your Broadband username and password' and on the advanced page it does allow you to delete the BT details and insert the Plusnet user name.
Perhaps a note could be added to the instructions at the top of the page. Thanks.
launton
Grafter

Also disabling 'smart setup' and separating the 2.5G and 5G combined SSIDs will help too.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Ha, only just stumbled across this thread.  Well done NE, and I agree this should be a sticky.
jangoddard

Hi,
Just connected with BT Homehub 5, eliminating the openreach modem and Plusnet router. Getting 37.5 up and 18.5 down which is pretty much the same as the Plusnet setup.
WiFi performance is identical.
It was really simple:
Reset Homehub to default settings and replace BTbroadband with Plusdsl.net and password.
I also switched off pairing for 2.4 & 5g wifi and turned off smart setup.
Plugged in and started up like a dream, with all my wifi connections still set up and ready to go.
Why do it?
It frees up  an ethernet port (I need 4) and allows me to connect a 64gB usb stick to share music library.
And it's a classy looking bit of kit ;o)
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Welcome to the forum jangoddard.
I'm glad you managed to follow NE's guidance and it all went smoothly, I hope your connection continues to be trouble free Smiley
As for "classy looking bit of kit" - well you know what they say, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder"  Wink
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Glad to hear it Jangoddard!
Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner - it looks like AnotherOne got to you first  Wink
Have fun using it  Smiley
Regards
NE
Jorvik
Grafter

Quote from: launton
Also disabling 'smart setup' and separating the 2.5G and 5G combined SSIDs will help too.

I'm a bit new to 5G WiFi - I wonder if you (or someone else) could expand on this pleas e?
What is the benefit of separating them? Presumably, as the Home Hub 5 default is for them not to be separated, there's presumably some benefit in having them conjoined?
Thanks!
(P.S. A very useful guide - thanks NorthEasterner, champion!)
BobJones6789

Thanks for the excellent guide, very useful and my homehub 5 now works! Something to add though, as I spent about an hour playing with it before figuring this out:
The homehub only accepts broadband passwords up to 12 characters long, but plusnet allows passwords up to 16 characters long so if your plusnet password is more than 12 characters long you'll have to change it for it to work with the homehub.
crazydan7
Dabbler

hi, I am also using the hub5, but does anyone know how I can change the dns servers on this to point to open dns? I know I can do it on each machine manually but surely there must be a way to do this in the hub? cheers