cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade from FTTC to Full Fibre but keeping current router - pre-install sanity check!

FIXED
snathe1978
Hooked

Upgrade from FTTC to Full Fibre but keeping current router - pre-install sanity check!

Hi everyone.

I've got my upgrade from FTTC to Full Fibre booked for this coming Thursday (genuinely quite excited about it, too!) and just want to check something before the install goes ahead.

I'm currently using a TP-Link Archer VR600 VDSL modem/router for my FTTC connection and want to keep using this after the Full Fibre install by plugging the connection from the ONT into the WAN port on the back.

I've scanned back through the various posts on here and although I'm pretty sure I've got everything correct, I just want to confirm what I need to amend (or leave) in the settings on the router in order to keep using it once the install's done:

• Change operation mode from "DSL Modem Router Mode" to "Wireless Router Mode"
  • Disable the VLAN ID 
  • Leave connection type as "PPPoE"
  • Leave all other account settings (username, password etc) as they are

Is all this correct? 

(Apologies if this has been covered before! Just want to make sure that there's as little a chance as possible that I could potentially end up not having a connection through my own stupidity, hence the sanity check!)

One other question; I currently have a static IP address. Will this remain the same with my move to Full Fibre, or will it change? (not the end of the world if it does)

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

Re: Upgrade from FTTC to Full Fibre but keeping current router - pre-install sanity check!

Fix

Is all this correct? 

In a word, yes!

One other question; I currently have a static IP address. Will this remain the same with my move to Full Fibre, or will it change? (not the end of the world if it does)

It should remain !,  but as they say, the only things guaranteed in life are death & taxes

One question, what speed full fibre have you ordered ? Can the vr600 handle the throughput of the higher speeds ? ( OK, that's strictly two questions )

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

snathe1978
Hooked

Re: Upgrade from FTTC to Full Fibre but keeping current router - pre-install sanity check!

In a word, yes!
Great, thanks for confirming!

One question, what speed full fibre have you ordered ? Can the vr600 handle the throughput of the higher speeds ? ( OK, that's strictly two questions )
I've only ordered the 74Mb speed purely for cost reasons (am having to keep to a bit of a tight budget at the moment) and as I'm currently on 67Mb FTTC I'm pretty sure it should handle it fine. 

I'll let you all know how it goes anyway!

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

Yes, it will, handle that fine. I was a bit worried that on say the 500Mb or 900Mb , the vr600 might not be up to it.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

snathe1978
Hooked

Very pleased (not to mention very relieved) to report that my Full Fibre install has just completed and everything is working as expected!
Switched everything over in my router beforehand and it fired up with no issues when connected to the ONT.

Very happy with the install process too, took no more than an hour and went without a single hitch.

Thank you again @MisterW for confirmation!