cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade Router

Alex2x
Grafter

Upgrade Router

Hi is it possible to upgrade from Hub 1 to Hub 2 I'm having really bad WiFi problems.
13 REPLIES 13
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

Re: Upgrade Router

@Alex2x I doubt it, @Alex2x , AFAIK Hub2's are only sent out for new installations or re-contracts. Can you give a little more detail of your problems?

John
Alex2x
Grafter

The Router is in the Lounge and the walls are solid, we have 4 CCTV cameras and the WiFi is very week and sometimes doesn't connect to all the cameras. I was hoping I could possibly buy a new Hub 2.
Dev
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

A got a few TPlink powerline adapters for the rooms with bad reception. Works perfectly. 

jab1
Legend

@Alex2x wrote:
The Router is in the Lounge and the walls are solid, we have 4 CCTV cameras and the WiFi is very week and sometimes doesn't connect to all the cameras. I was hoping I could possibly buy a new Hub 2.

To buy a Hub2 you are looking at £100+ - seriously not worth the money. @Dev 's idea is a much better one. Out of curiosity, how long have you had this problem?

John
southerner
Aspiring Pro

I got a Hub 2 on a re-contract and the WiFi's not as good as I had on a BT Home Hub 6. The TP Link routers are good too if you're looking to buy your own kit.
Alex2x
Grafter

For about 6 months now, I can't say I'm very impressed with Plusnet so as I get the chance I'm leaving.
jab1
Legend

@Alex2x In those six months, have asked if anyone has any ideas to improve you performance? There are some very helpful Community members, but if you don't, we don't know you have a problem.

John
Steve001
Dabbler

@Alex2x
It may be of interest for you to check out the thread I have put up - there are a number of suggestions there including TP-Link options for example. My issue is not yet resolved but the info might help you.
https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Internet-linked-tv-buffering
SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 96

Hiya @Alex2x

I'm really sorry to hear that you are having an issue with your connection, I can imagine the hassle this is causing and the frustrations this is caused. 

Is it just the cameras the connection is not reaching?  If so I would check the article out here for the specifications of the router to make sure it is compatible. 

Have you also tried the steps here to help improve your connection? 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Sadly I think it is just going to be trial and error, try different boxes and find one which works best for you.

ISP boxes are known for just being basic, you'll just have to find which one is good.

Years since I used wireless so I can really comment. Only really my iPhone decides to change connections 😀

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@Alex2x 

I note that you raised this last November but failed to engage (  https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Poor-Speed/m-p/1835873#M128325). Wireless coverage can be problematic but we can’t help unless you respond to posts. Many of the responses that you will get on topics such as this will be from fellow customers who can’t help without feedback.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro

I may have "complaints" but Plusnet provide the best possible service to the BT box in our homes. The fact that one gets a "free" router is a generous bonus.

WiFi is a problem local to our homes and there is always a way of solving it even if it means drilling holes in your walls too!

Simple, low cost Powerline adapters and/or a basic plug in range extender are examples of the tech companies understanding the problem and providing cost effective solutions..

"Better" wifi from a basic router is a relative term.....!

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Well it's not a 'free' router without being tied into a contact so that term is a misnomer.

My PlusNet connection is at my sisters, not far from where I live (45 minute walk), I go there every few days and just check everything is fine with them. She and her daughter use their internet all the time. If they don't complain about their internet then that is good. No news is good news and all that. 😉

They have a two storey house and are just using a PlusNet Hub one so I wonder why some people have problems and they don't? Could it be faulty devices or their location within your house?