cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub two set always use ip

ianeon1

Hub two set always use ip

Have just setup my nnew Hub Tw3o router butwhen I set a port forwarding it will not let me set the "Always use this Address" setting, Anybody any Idea's on what to do.

7 REPLIES 7
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: Hub two set always use ip

@ianeon1 its certainly possible , I have a device just so , see below

Try setting 'always use this address' first and then add the forwarding after

hub2forward.png

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ianeon1

have tried that but still no luck so not sure what to do unless I go back to the old router

greygit
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I don't use any port forwarding. In my case the Hub2 does not permit changing the setting of devices "always use the same IP" from Yes to No. I can try, but it refuses. I've tried multiple times but the Hub2 always reverts to Yes. This looks like a s/w / firmware 'feature'. Your report is an almost 180 degree version of what I see/experience.

Perhaps the testing of firmware releases isn't as robust as it should be. I know I can go and buy another unit, but these are features that are presented to the customer.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Bit confused by the relationship between always assigning the same IP and creating a port forwarding rule Huh
Can you provide some more context regarding what it is you're trying to achieve?
You should be able to create a port forwarding rule and point it to a local hostname (selected from a pre-populated list) rather than an IP address. I think this will use the MAC address for association, making the IP assigned to the device less important.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

greygit
Rising Star

Perhaps it is something in the code associated with device names and MACs and their association with assigned iP addresses and the 'ability' of the Hub2 to retain information between reboots.

Do you operate a Hub2 with it operating as DHCP server?

There are many variables in operation here.

What happens with devices that use locally assigned MAC addresses? And rotate through a selection of locally assigned MAC addresses. Possibly a long list of locally assigned MAC addresses. They all show up as the same device name in the web interface. All  with the same name. Recorded in the (unclearable) log files.

I'm just supposing. A lot of 'weird' happens in code.

I saw a MAC of 00:00:00:00:00:00 crop up in the log. That's a bit 'special' IMO.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@greygit wrote:

What happens with devices that use locally assigned MAC addresses? And rotate through a selection of locally assigned MAC addresses. Possibly a long list of locally assigned MAC addresses. They all show up as the same device name in the web interface. All  with the same name. Recorded in the (unclearable) log files.

I can't think of many real-life scenarios (at least for the time being) where you would want to port forward traffic to the type of device that tends to have MAC randomisation enabled.

In a addition to this. The randomised MAC tends to be 'sticky' and will remain the same as long as the Wi-Fi network remains saved/remembered by the client device.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

greygit
Rising Star

"In a addition to this. The randomised MAC tends to be 'sticky' and will remain the same as long as the Wi-Fi network remains saved/remembered by the client device."

This reminds me of a product of old. There may also be entangled humour.

https://static.viking-direct.co.uk/is/image/odeu13/3497310