cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to connect to screwfix.com (dns issue)

questuk01

Re: Unable to connect to screwfix.com (dns issue)

I have also tried that site  … using windows 10 and the brave browser and it works, but not in linux ?

Also if I change from my " current service provider " DNS in the security tab, to Cloudflare (1.1.1.1) that site can now be accessed in LInux ?

For the past 4 years I have used my " current service provider " Plunet DNS.
It has always worked.

But it’s strange that using Plusnet DNS and Brave with Windows 10 it all works and I can access the site ?

confusedasasnak
Hooked

I'm a long time user of Plusnet and Screwfix and have never had this problem before so I don't see how the router can be blamed as mine hasn't changed. Something else must have happened to cause this.
I'm having trouble on both android and ipad. I've modified my dns address to 8.8.8.8 (google) and that is working for me.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@questuk01 - wouldn't surprise me if the Brave browser were bypassing the router DNS forwarder in order for one of its touted security features to work.

@confusedasasnak - you're right but it's quite possible that something else has changed. e.g. Screwfix could have changed the DNS entries for their website, increasing the DNS response size and thus triggering behaviour in the hub that you might not have seen before.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

confusedasasnak
Hooked

Screwfix say they're not aware of a problem and it looks like only Plusnet users have the issue. btw I'm using a BT Home hub 5. Is there a router that you know works?
jgb
Champion
Fixes: 22

If it is any help in working out what is going on, I can access Screwfix on W11 with either Chrome or Edge using a Hub1 software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.289.1.3. I am using a laptop connected via wifi. However, I get issues ("This site can't be reached") if I use my Android phone (android 11) via wifi, but can do so using my 4G data. However, if I then switch wifi back on and try again, I can then access Screwfix! Seems to be no obvious pattern.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@alitster wrote:

@bobpullen wrote:
Your hub is running dated firmware by the way. This suggests it has probably lost contact with the management platform at some point.

@bobpullen how do I go about getting my Hub to reestablish connectivity with the management platform? 

I've reprovisioned your hub at this side which should do the trick.

You'll need to factory reset from your side though by inserting something into the reset pinhole at the rear of the device until the status LED flashes green. You'll lose any config changes you've made since taking it out of the box. Avoid restoring from a back-up as that has a tendency to re-instate the 'bad' config.

Once reset, I'd expect the latest firmware to be applied within a few days.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@Rod - incidentally, your hub has also dropped of the management platform.

If you want to rectify this, you'll also need to factory reset as per above instructions.

Won't help with the immediate issue but does ensure that you'll receive any future firmware updates. 

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Brynow
Hooked

@bobpullen thanks for pointing me to this thread.

My symptoms are that I can happily use the Screwfix website on my PC on Plusnet broadband.  But on my mobile, using the Screwfix app, I can use the app to add stuff to my basket but when I try to check out I get this error: 

Domain: undefined

Error code: -2

Description: ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED

If I go onto 4G it works fine. When I go back onto wifi I get the same issue.  It started a week or two ago.  Not a major problem for me but maybe this will help to address the underlying issue.

alitster
Dabbler

@bobpullen wrote:

I've reprovisioned your hub at this side which should do the trick.

You'll need to factory reset from your side though by inserting something into the reset pinhole at the rear of the device until the status LED flashes green. You'll lose any config changes you've made since taking it out of the box. Avoid restoring from a back-up as that has a tendency to re-instate the 'bad' config.

Once reset, I'd expect the latest firmware to be applied within a few days.

Thanks @bobpullen , that's got my Hub One upgraded to Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.289.1.3
I did have to manually reboot it once the reset was complete to force it to apply the update.

jimscott
Grafter

Having the same issue, cannot access screwfix.com using plusnet broadband. Vodafone 4G works fine on the same device.

How do I resolve this?

Thanks.
chagoi5

Yeap same here! thought I was going mad!

JohnN1

Hello,

I wrote a detailed post a few days ago, but it seems it never appeared on the thread, I'm not sure why. The upshot was I solved the issue by accessing my router settings and changing the DNS server from the automatic (Plusnet) one, to either of the Google or OpenDNS options.

chagoi5

Hi JohnN1,  

Yes that's what I'm thinking of doing was it with the supplied Plusnet Hub One?

If so what about the Broadband username and password?  as you have to disconnect and reconnect to make the DNS changes

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

@chagoi5 Your username and password are not affected by DNS changes.

John
JohnN1

Chagoi5, I'm still using a Plusnet Hub Zero(?) router. I just logged on to the admin console using the router address and password printed on the back and changed the option under DNS settings. I guess it's similar with the Hub One.