cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tp-link 2100: No internet

FIXED
4legsgood

Tp-link 2100: No internet

I've read a *lot* of similar posts. I've tried all the 'solutions'. None have worked. I've spoken to Plusnet, had a long online chat session with Tp-Link and have had a long series of email exchanges with them. Here's where we are:

I have full-fibre and Plusnet Hub 1 and Hub 2 routers. Both work fine. I also have a Tp-Link AC1200 (Archer C1200) and a Tp-Link AC2100 (Archer VR2100) router. Neither of these will connect to the internet. I have selected Plusnet_VDSL. I have ensured it's pppoe, have entered my Plusnet username, appended with @plusdsl.net, entered my password, and these are definitely correct. The VLAN ID is 101, as it should be. Still no internet connection.

Tp-Link's latest email asked me to connect my PC directly to the ONT box. This I did. Everything I've read tells me this should work, provided I use a pppoe connection.

So, In Network and Sharing on the Win10 PC I clicked Set up a new connection or network.
Selected ‘Connect to the Internet’ and clicked Next.
Clicked Broadband (PPPoE)
Entered my Plusnet username (with the @plusdsl.net appendage) and password and clicked Connect. Result: no internet.

Tp-Link suggest there's a problem with the ONT box, and that I should ask Plusnet to check it.

So: can anyone suggest anything I'm missing? Plusnet have done checks and tell me everything looks fine. OTOH it is kinda odd that 2 Plusnet routers connect ok and 2 Tp-link don't, where most people have no probs with Tp-Link routers. Plusnet say if they get a call out and it's my problem not theirs I may be charged, I don't recall exactly, £75? Is it worth pursuing, or should I stick with with the Hub2 with all its limitations?

13 REPLIES 13
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Re: Tp-link 2100: No internet

@4legsgood  Why would you make so many dumb mistakes?

Y

You are full fibre, so why would you choose VDSL settings?

Also the modem/ONT does the Vlan 101 settings, why do you feel the need to do them wrongly again?

Your service works with your Hub 1 and 2, yet you think it is an ONT problem?

REALLY?

G6JPG-0
Rising Star

or should I stick with with the Hub2 with all its limitations?

What do you consider those to be, that your TP-link will do better?

Protech
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

@4legsgood
This may help
https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Fibre-broadband/Archer-VR2100-on-FTTP/td-p/2260277
You can check out but you can never leave ( easily)
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 433

Fix

and a Tp-Link AC2100 (Archer VR2100) router

That will need setting to 'Wireless router mode' first

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,485

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Full Fibre to My Router 

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
markhawkin
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 14

For full fibre you need username and password and to set PPPoE but that's it.

No need for VLAN IDs (unlike "fibre to the cabinet"). That's probably what is stopping it working.

Try that and your TP-Link will work.

The Hub 1 & Hub 2 if issued for your account will automatically configture correctly. No need for you to put settings in.

I am the satisfied customer....
4legsgood

@Mustrum wrote:

"@4legsgood  Why would you make so many dumb mistakes?"

Perhaps you could tell me what my so many dumb mistakes are. That would be more constructive.

"You are full fibre, so why would you choose VDSL settings?"

What settings should I choose if not VDSL?

"Also the modem/ONT does the Vlan 101 settings, why do you feel the need to do them wrongly again?"

What makes you think I've done them (plural) wrongly?  I've never 'done' them. Everything I've read tells me the VLAN ID should be 101. It is. I've never changed it (note the singular). Yet you tell me I've done them wrongly, not just once but again.

"Your service works with your Hub 1 and 2, yet you think it is an ONT problem?"

I don't think it's an ONT problem. I don't know what the problem is. That's why I posted here. Tp-Link think it might be an ONT problem

"REALLY?"

Um, yes, "REALLY".

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Everything I've read tells me the VLAN ID should be 101

@4legsgood I think you're confusing Fibre with Full Fibre, yes I know its confusing!. Fibre is really Fibre to the cabinet, and if you are using your own mode/router then you need to set VLAN ID 101. Full fibre does not require a VLAN ID, in fact if you set one it wont work!

If you are referring to the Help information here https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/broadband-connection-settings/ then for Full fibre you need to refer to the section 'What settings should I use for a Fibre router connected to a BT Openreach modem' . The logic for that being that the ONT is effectively a Fibre optic modem.

Hope that helps

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

@4legsgood    Try this: sorry formatting is not great,  from 1910013055_Archer VR2100_UG_REV1.0.1.pdf (tp-link.com)

But as you also can't get a PPOE connection on your PC it sounds you are still doing something wrong.

4. 5. 1. Wireless Router Mode If you already have a modem or your internet comes via an Ethernet jack on the wall, you can set up the modem router as a regular wireless router to share the internet. 1. Find the WAN port (labeled as LAN4/WAN) on the modem router, and connect it to your existing modem or the Ethernet jack on the wall. Then connect the power adapter and turn on the modem router. If you connect an existing modem, reboot it to get the modem router connected to the internet. 2. Connect your computer to the modem router. For details, refer to Connect Your Modem Router. 3. Visit http://tplinkmodem.net, and log in with your TP-Link ID or the password you set for the modem router. 4. Go to Advanced > Operation Mode, select the Wireless Router Mode, and click Save. The modem router will reboot. 18 Chapter 4 Set Up Internet Connections 5. Go to Basic > Internet, select the Connection Type, and enter the information provided by your ISP. 6. Click Save to make the settings effective. Tips: 1. You can view and edit all internet connections on Advanced > Network > Internet page. 2. In the Wireless Router Mode, you can also permit IPv6 connection by setting up an IPv6 connection or the IPv6 tunnel just as in the DSL Modem Router Mode. For details, refer to Set Up an IPv6 Connection and Set Up the IPv6 Tunnel

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 87

@4legsgood 

Provided you have selected Wireless Router Mode, the Advanced >Network >Internet setting should look something like this.

tp-link-pppoe setting.png

LAN 4 becomes the WAN port and this goes to the ONT

4legsgood

I can't thank you guys enough. As stated I've spent a lot of time

• Talking to Plusnet,
  • In a long online chat session with Tp-Link
  • In a long series of email exchanges with Tp-Link.

One post here and the problem is fixed - I simply needed to change the Operation Mode to Wireless Router. Again - many thanks to all who told me this was the solution. 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I wouldn't really expect Plusnet support to know that but you would expect Tplink to have realised!

4legsgood

@MisterW wrote:

I wouldn't really expect Plusnet support to know that but you would expect Tplink to have realised!

Indeed! I've sent them an email to this effect. Told them what I said here: numerous email exchanges with them: result zilch. One post here: result fixed. Cheers buddy!