cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Too many devices = 2.4GHz network crashes

Pickers_liv

Too many devices = 2.4GHz network crashes

Firstly, some background: we use a PlusNet Hub One and a few Google Home Mini's / Nest minis which only connect to 2.4GHz, and so we've split the 2.4 and 5GHz bands to ensure that our phones/laptops always connect to the same 2.4 network as the devices. To boost signal strength, I've manually set the channels for both to have the least interference.

There seems to be an issue that, when we have guests come to stay, and they connect to the 2.4GHz network, the network crashes completely, such that none of the smart devices work and only the 5GHz network is visible. I'd say, including all the devices, there's never been more than about 10 devices connected

As a potential solution, I'm thinking of telling any more guests to just use the 5G network (it won't matter too much if they can't connect to the smart devices), but it's annoying. Has anyone had similar issues? Am I right that too many devices could be the trigger? At what point should I ask PlusNet for a replacement router?

Thanks,

Rob

3 REPLIES 3
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Too many devices = 2.4GHz network crashes

Firstly, devices do not need to be on the same Wi-Fi band in order to communicate with each other.

I have 12 Google devices on my network (including three minis) split across the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands and there is no issue with cross communication when I'm using a Hub One. In total, there are > 40 devices on my local network so I don't think you're hitting any sort of hardware-imposed limit here.

When you encounter this issue, how do you restore service? Does it come back on its own accord or do you need to restart the hub?

Have you been able to identify a particular guest's device that triggers the problem? I assume if you log into the router when the issue occurs and navigate to the network map, that it shows nothing connected to the 2.4GHz network?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to My Router.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I think Bob is trying to rule out a faulty router, which it sounds like it could be.

Around my sisters, using her Hub One I use my mobile then she and my niece use Wi-Fi for her iPad and my sisters computer. So we only have 3 users but we are not having any problems with her WiFi or bands.