Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Technicolor TG582n not starting

FIXED
Cliff_g
Grafter
Fixes: 2

Technicolor TG582n not starting

I wanted to restart my router remotely* yesterday, using the config interface**. I think I hit the right restart router button (never done this before on the Technicolor). Hoping it was not a full reset already!  Anyway...

Router has refused to come back up and I cannot talk to it:

• Power light is on
  • Ethernet light is on green (hooked my PC up by ethernet cable) and occasional flashes as if it is communicating
  • Broadband light steady green - so synced to the DSL  (standard ADSL)
  • Wifi light is on permanently, red
  • Can switch wifi light "off" and back "on" again by holding down the wifi button for a few seconds each switch
  • Internet light stays off

When I plug in by ethernet to port 1 on the router, I cannot reach 192.168.1.254.  Tried ipconfig /reset on my PC, but was no help.  Tried others such as 0.0, 0.1 etc just in case but no joy.  I think DCHP must not have been started in the router so I can't get a valid ethernet connection   So basically I can't talk to it and may need to do a full reset.

I have a bit of config on the router but no backup (only recently found that you can!) so am loathe to do a reset as a first course of action.

Currently using a spare router and that is working fine, with the usual Plusnet access login, incl Wifi, so it's not the ADSL line or my PC, and other devices (tabs etc) also work on spare router.  It's a bit slower than the Technicolor though.

If I had accidentally hit a full reset from the config pages, surely I should still be able to talk to it so as to set up stuff such as Wifi

1. Does anyone have any ideas?
  2. Sub question: if I do a reset, will it recover to the Plusnet start-up config as originally shipped, or to a full manufacturer's config?

Thanks in advance

(*downstairs when router is up - I'm recovering from a serious operation)

(**Nothing wrong, I just wanted a different public IP to test something.)

11 REPLIES 11
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Technicolor TG582n not starting

A factory reset will put it into the same condition as when shipped to you. That's probably your next move.

For the record to try to change your IP.address you only need to drop the connection. However be aware that these are very sticky. You need to drop the connection for at least an hour and even then might end up with the same one.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Cliff_g
Grafter

Thanks.  Had come to same conclusions, though I managed to get a Chat call withoug too much problem and they said reset returned to Factory settign and would need to re-do DSL login.  I guess it will go back to whatever's on the EPROM Smiley

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

i @Cliff_g,

I've just checked your connection now and can see that you managed to get that different IP you needed last night. The chat agent's correct it returns to factory default. 

It's quite the older router you have there, happy to send you a new one out if you'd like (though the functionality you have with the Technicolor isn't available on the newer routers), not sure which router the spare one you have is. 

Let us know if you're still having issues.

Cliff_g
Grafter

Thanks Jolo. I did reset it but though it will now talk over ethernet, the router won't let me in with admin and the serial no. on the underside of the router. Another thread on this.  https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Reset-Technicolor-TG582n-won-t-login-with-quot-admin-quot-an...

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @Cliff_g, have you had any luck with this since posting?

I know the serial number is quite tiny on the technicolor and often 8 & B, 0 & O and 5 & S are easily confused Undecided, so if you have any of these in the password, might be worth giving it a few attempts.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
Cliff_g
Grafter

Hi Lauren,

On my Router, the s/n is pretty clear, and I have actually tried some alternatives based on 0 being O etc.  Question is, by resetting does the router actually go back to Manufacturer's original or Plusnet logins - this is a Plusnet-labelled TG582n.  I have tried both a 7-second reset, the ligths go out and almost immediately back on again, or a full reset with self test - light goes yellow after about 20 secs then eventually comes back.  Currently hanging on for phone support. Bit of a wait!!!

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

If you're referring to the details to log in to the router then these should be 'admin' as the username along with the router's serial number as the password

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Cliff_g
Grafter

Correct. They should be, but the problem is that they don't work, and the login page just refreshes with brand new blank fields.

Cliff_g
Grafter

Found the solution. As always, Youtube to the rescue...  https://youtu.be/bJXn-OVVFcw

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @Cliff_g,

As a factory reset has not resolved the problem and the router login page just refreshes when you try and log in to manually update the authentication details, it looks as though your router has broken.

I've had a look into your options for a new Plusnet router, as this is account specific information I've added this to a ticket on your account which you can view here. Alternatively, you can carry on using the spare router or use a different third party ADSL router.

Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
Cliff_g
Grafter

Fix

Thanks Emily, had received the ticket

Now sorted, by surprise - see https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Reset-Technicolor-TG582n-won-t-login-with-quot-admin-quot-an...