cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Talk Talk Hub settings to use on Plusnet?

stephencoope

Talk Talk Hub settings to use on Plusnet?

Hello, does anybody know if the Talk Talk Sagemcom Fast 5364 is locked to Talk Talk? I have accessed the router settings and changed as many as I can to those suggested by PlusNet but I can't connect to the internet. These are the settiings I have been able to change .. connection type PPP, VLAN id 101, DNS - obtain automatically. Any thoughts much appreciated, I am keen to try another router as the plus net hub seems to be dropping connection a lot - I have only switched to Plus net from Talk Talk last week and did not have any drop out issues with the Talk Talk router. Thank you Stephen

15 REPLIES 15
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Talk Talk Hub settings to use on Plusnet?

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from  Fibre to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
stephencoope

thanks dvorak, are you able to help with the query?

Best Regards, Stephen

daveplus
Pro
Fixes: 10

@stephencoope 

I don't know whether this helps but I moved home a couple of months ago and left the Plusnet Hub connected and switched on for 14 days before going back to my preferred separate modem and router and had no problems at all so maybe it is not the hub causing your problem.

Dave

stephencoope

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your help. If I am understanding you correctly did you have connection issues with the PlusNet hub  in the initial period after you moved which resolved themselves after a couple of weeks?

thanks

Stephen

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Hey @stephencoope 

Thanks for getting int ouch with us here.

You should be able to use that router with our service. To configure a third party router you will need to consult your manufacturer or your manual to gain access to your router and find the necessary pages.

Encapsulation Type:PPPoA (PPP over ATM)  if on ADSL broadband PPPoE (PPP over Ethernet) if on fibre
Username: your account username@plusdsl.net
Password: Your account password

You can also find more info on connecting here.

Thanks.

stephencoope

Hello Mads, thank you for getting back to me. Just to explain how I set it up … I connected the talk talk router to my laptop via ethernet cable and at the same time had the router connected to the ADSL socket on my main telephone socket. The attached photo shows what fields I could change on the router menu but in case you can't open it here is a summary of what I did ..

connection type - ppp

vlan id - 101

login - [Removed]@plusdsl.net

password - my usual account password

obtain DNS - automatic

I then clicked 'apply' but no connection to the internet (ps still had the ethernet cable at this stage)

Can you think of anything I did wrong or could try?

many thanks

Stephen

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Personal information removed from a public forum (to an area that staff can see).

daveplus
Pro
Fixes: 10

Hi Stephen

I had no problems at all. I just wanted to ensure I was using the Plusnet Hub in case there were problems during the initial period.

Dave

Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Hi @stephencoope,

Have you checked with Talk Talk if it can be used with another provider? as I am pretty sure most of their routers are locked to their connection.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

It could be that it was because you had the dsl cable connected before setting the Plusnet credentials so the router reverted to talk talk settings. Try setting the Plusnet user name before you plug the dsl cable in.

In addition you have not mentioned setting the PPPoE/A encapsulation. Is this set correctly?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

I've had one of these units in the office since TalkTalk launched them, and had no luck configuring things back when I tried. That said, some of the options you've referred to definitely weren't open to me back then, so perhaps they've relaxed things since?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

stephencoope

thanks Bob

stephencoope

hi, thanks for getting back to me. Excuse my ignorance but is this what I should do to access the talk talk  router menu....connect the talk talk router to my laptop via ethernet cable, and have my laptop connected to the internet via the plus net wi-fi? I could not see a PPoE/A drop down when I tried originally  only a PPP.  thank you very much for your help 

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@stephencoope 

No. Connect your laptop to the talk talk router by Ethernet cable. Initially there should be no other connections either wired ot wireless.

Log into the router. You do not need an internet connection to do this. Set up the Plusnet credentials then when the router is trying to connect plug in the dsl cable between the router and BT filter.

The lack of encapsulation settings is worrying and this could be the issue that's locking you out.

If you can’t get this to work and want to try a better budget router then get a BT Smarthub 6 from the likes of EBay, they go for less than £20. Setting instructions are here  https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85...

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

stephencoope

thanks for your help, it's much appreciated. Is the BT hub likely to be better than the Plusnet one?