cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TP-Link TL-SG1005D switch was working now can't get internet through it. Hub one settings?

FIXED
wellyz
Hooked

TP-Link TL-SG1005D switch was working now can't get internet through it. Hub one settings?

Evening all,

I've bought the above switch and used it without issue for a week, it's connected to a LAN port on the back of my Hub One router and then there are 3 devices attached to the switch (printer, work laptop and a desktop PC). I've noticed the speeds really start slowing when working from home with my work laptop but put that down to the jobs poor IT infrastructure (has to access a managed network from servers before access to the internet). The work laptop and the PC have never bee on at the same time.

The PC has had a consistently good connection through the switch for about a week and all of a sudden it today pops up with no internet access. I have been having loads of trouble with the Hub One and wifi authentication issues with mobile devices so this didn't really come as a surprise. Different issue I was guessing as this is a wired connection but thought the usual restart would resolve it. Unfortunately it didn't. I've unplugged the TP link switch and connected with an Ethernet cable to the PC and instant internet access no issues.

I've been reading some posts on this forum and others about playing around with IP addresses to get the switch to work. My question is how come I've been running fine for a week then getting no access to the net and has anyone else had a similar issue with the Hub One router and an unmanaged switch (which is meant to be plug and play)?

I've had the switch turned off and unplugged then reconnected all the cables and I got internet access again for 30 minutes before a massive slow down then loss of internet access. I'm not sure what settings are causing the internet to drop out through the switch, any help you guys could give or trouble shooting would be greatly received.

Thank you.

9 REPLIES 9
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: TP-Link TL-SG1005D switch was working now can't get internet through it. Hub one settings?

Fix

@wellyz 

I am quite aware that the Hub One deservedly gets a load of bad press but that doesn't mean that your TP Link switch hasn't developed a fault.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

wellyz
Hooked

Re: TP-Link TL-SG1005D switch was working now can't get internet through it. Hub one settings?

Agreed however (and I should have mentioned this in my opening post), the TP link switch is a week old. Not unheard of I'm sure to develop a fault in such a short time but after reading other people having issues with other ISPs routers I thought I'd chance it here to see if someones running something similar and has played with the routers settings to get it to consistently work with a switch.

On the posts I read I couldn't find anyone using the plusnet router hence thought I'd ask.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

I ran 2 switches from a hub one for a quite a long time with no issues
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
wellyz
Hooked

did you have to change any IP addresses on devices or similar or was it plug and play?

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

All simple plug and play unmanaged switches
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
wellyz
Hooked

Sent the TP-Link TL-SG1005D back and bought a Netgear GS208 instead and have had no issues whatsoever since. Nothing to do with the Plusnet Hub One router it would seem. Hopefully this will help anyone searching on Google for similar issues in future, don't buy the TP-Link switch!

Baldrick1

@wellyz 

I am running the same TP-Link switch plus a TP-Link PoE injector 24/7 without any problems.

In a previous life I did quite a lot of reliability work. Electronic components follow what is called a bathtub curve, in other words there are a relatively high number of early life failures followed by a long service life with low failure rates rising again at the end of life. Just like humans' without medical intervention if you think about it.

For equipment that must have a low failure rate we used to do a 24/7 powered 'burn in' at elevated temperature for up to a week to filter out these early life failures. Obviously this is impracticable with cheap mass produced products.

So I think that whilst you have been unlucky you are being a bit harsh condemning all TP-Link products.

Moderator and Customer

wellyz
Hooked

Not all products Baldrick, just the SG1005D 

Baldrick1

@wellyz 

Very true, I stand corrected. My other comments are still relevant though.

Moderator and Customer