Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suitable replacement for a Sagemcom Plusnet Hub One - CS 5001

TKGuitar
Hooked

Suitable replacement for a Sagemcom Plusnet Hub One - CS 5001

Hi all

Since moving from Plusnet ASDL to Plusnet Fibre I’ve been having connectivity issues with the newly supplied Sagemcom Pusnet Hub One - CS 5001. I have since received a replacement but things aren’t getting any better. 

2E4A6835-4F2F-4362-89C5-012731AE7449.jpeg

Since swapping to fibre I’m a little confused as to exactly what type of router I now need. Would I be right in saying an FTTC or VDSL2 router? I’m looking to replace the current Hub One so could anyone please point me the direction of a suitable upgrade? Or a list if possible! 😉

One last question. Now I’m using fibre do I still need to use ADSL filters for phones connected to other sockets or can I now bin them? 

Thanks in advance for any suitable suggestions

11 REPLIES 11
runhare
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Suitable replacement for a Sagemcom Plusnet Hub One - CS 5001

Would I be right in saying an FTTC or VDSL2 router? 

Yes you do ! Good makes are Draytek  and TP Link

DrayTek Vigor 2860n

One last question. Now I’m using fibre do I still need to use ADSL filters for phones connected to other sockets or can I now bin them?

Yes you do ! Unless you are using a BT Openreach double socket ( phone and VDSL ) filtered faceplate on your master socket then using microfilters is even more important with VDSL.

You cannot expect VDSL to work properly without them.

However the latest  filtered faceplates from BT are a much better idea than dongly microfilters.

Start by looking for the NTE5C master socket with VDSL filtered faceplate - a much neater solution

This guide to the NTE5C from BT may be a little difficult to digest,  but is their best product to date and will usually guarantee better performance.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

TKGuitar wrote:

I’m looking to replace the current Hub One so could anyone please point me the direction of a suitable upgrade? Or a list if possible! 😉

Why do you want to replace the Hub One? If it's to 'cure' the drops you are experiencing then you will probably be wasting your money. The picture is showing a dropped line so the link between the router and exchange is down. If this has happened with two hubs then the problem is pretty certain to be elsewhere. Are you having this problem when plugged in to the test socket, that's the one you find after you take the front cover off the master socket? How often does it drop? 

Have Plusnet confirmed that they are seeing this problem at their end?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there. I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing connection problems.

Whilst we can see the drops,

testing your line isn't finding the cause of that. Due to the length of your line from the cabinet (the green box in the street), occasional drops such as the above are to be expected.

If you haven't already I'd plug your router into the test socket as explained here. This will be the best place for your router and will help minimise the distance the broadband signal takes to reach it.

If the frequency of drops increase, I'd head on over to http://faults.plus.net to report a fault. -Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
TKGuitar
Hooked

Thanks guys for the replies.

Sorry I’ve had a busy day and so haven’t had a chance to respond. The router in the picture is just a stock picture I grabbed off the net, it’s not mine. I included it just so we all knew exactly which router we we’re talking about. Sorry for the confusion there.

Since upgrading to fibre from ADSL, I’m now using the Hub One and I’ve been experiencing intermittent connectivity problems. I’m using exactly the same devices on my LAN so the only thing that has changed is the router. I’m happy just to try for a new router.

All I’m trying to achieve here is find out exactly what type of router I need if I wanted (which I do), to upgrade on the Hub One.

“gpsmout” has confirmed for me that I need a VDSL2 router which is good and also given me an example, thank you very much for that. I just now need to have a look and try to find one under £100...preferably around £70 or under if possible that would be a good upgrade on the Hub One.

Any experience or recommendations of suitable routers from you guys would be gratefully received. 👍

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

A good selection of combined VDSL2 modems and routers can be found on Kitz's site here.

TKGuitar
Hooked

Many Thanks! Smiley

PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

For that budget I personally would look at a TP-Link VR600
TKGuitar
Hooked

markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 12

@TKGuitar

Having spent some while investigating and fixing fibre (VDSL) stability problems for relatives can I ask you to put your Router shopping on hold until you have fitted a VDSL filtered faceplate to the master socket and plugged your existing router into that.

Something like the "KAUDEN LJ5208V VDSL/ ADSL Splitter Faceplate for NTE5" from Amazon would do the job (correctly chosen for your type of master socket).

I am the satisfied customer....
runhare
Aspiring Pro

Personally @TKGuitar, I'd rather use  a genuine  BT Openreach Telephone Master Socket NTE5c MK2 & VDSL/ADSL Faceplate MK4  rather than the generic Faceplate splitters . They are significantly better performing

Available here:  https://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/adsl-vdsl-faceplates/mk4btopenreachvdslsocket/

But also on Ebay for much less!!

markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 12

I agree with @runhare

If you can source the Openreach original it would be better, that's what I have at home.

I am the satisfied customer....