cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed drops

Briand

Speed drops

Hello,

I'm new to this site, so hope this question is in the right place!

I have been with Plusnet since November 2018 and am using the Plusnet Hub One router.  Service had generally been good.  My "Estimated speed" is 54-77 Mbps with a "Guaranteed Minimum" of 49.6Mbps.  Generally (and periods of heavy use by others - high contention - aside) I have been getting speeds of 49-53 Mpbs down and 10-13 Mbps up, which is acceptable given my distance from the local cabinet.  However, over the past couple of months I have noticed that my speed suddenly drops to about half this - ca. 23 Mbps, for no obvious reason.  I have discovered that simply rebooting the router (which is normally always on) solves the problem and I am back normal.  Then a week or two later the same thing happens.  Does this indicate that my router is on the blink?  if not, any suggestions?

Many thanks

7 REPLIES 7
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Re: Speed drops

Hi @Briand,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing these issues. I've tested your line this afternoon and we can definitely see that there have been some issues with the connection, but we're unable to pinpoint the exact problem. You've mentioned that rebooting the router helps to solve the issues temporarily - are you still using the Hub One router we provided you with a couple of years ago, or do you use a 3rd party router? Do you have access to an alternative router that we could setup to see if the same issues occur?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Briand

Thanks for the quick response.

Yes, I'm using the original Hub One router supplied by Plusnet in November 2018.

No, I'm afraid I have no other router to test.

the "issue" seems to occur at random - maybe OK for a couple of weeks then it drops to 50%.  Quick reboot and the speed is back up again.  This started (or at least I first really noticed it) a few months ago.  I use Speedtest by Ookla frequently - but not always regularly - to check.  I will try to remember to test more frequently and regularly.

Brian

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Thanks for confirming this @Briand. Please could you try setting the router up within the test socket in the property to see if this helps improve the connection at all? For reference, we have a guide on how to do this here.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Briand

Hi again.  Apologies for delay in response - been away all day.

The router is already plugged into the master socket. 

On 23 Oct the speed dropped to 21 Mbps down.  After re-booting it went up to the usual 51 Mbps.  This was maintained until today (27th)  when on checking this evening, the speed was down to 21 Mpbs again.  Immediately after re-booting, the speed was back up to 52.6 Mbps.  This doesn't seem like it's due to faulty wiring.

Thanks

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Thanks for getting back to us @Briand, I am sorry for the continued issues you've been having with your service.

I have tested your line today and a fault is being detected in the network so I have raised this to our suppliers. We'll need to book an engineer visit to get this progressed.

If you can please add your availability to the ticket I've created here: https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=219167407 and if you give us a nudge on here once done so we can pick it up for you.

Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
Briand

Hello again!

This problem was resolved back in November following a visit by a BT Openreach engineer who diagnosed an issue with the wiring in the local exchange.  Following this work the speed then went back up an average of about 50 Mbps, where it should be.  However, soon after Xmas the speed dropped to a range of 43 to 45 until about 25th January when it dropped further to a range of 35-37 Mbps.  On 3 February I decided to re-boot the router and the speed rose again to a steady level of about 45 for a week or so.  A week later it has dropped again to 41-42 Mbps, where it now still is.

Can someone tell me what's going on?  Surely there can't be more issues with the Openreach lines?

Many thanks

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hey Brian,

I'm really sorry to see your speed has dropped again. I've tested your line and the tests aren't showing any causes for this, so I'm afraid that we would need to arrange another Openreach engineer visit to investigate further.

While I appreciate you've already had one engineer visit, there's a lot that can go wrong in the infrastructure which the first engineer may not have checked or the underlying issue may be intermittent and not readily apparent. 

I've raised a new fault ticket you can view & respond to by going Here with your availability for a further visit. If you can post back to let me know once you've responded, I'll make sure we book the engineer as soon as we can.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet