cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spec for hard drive to connect to router

lucysumner1984

Spec for hard drive to connect to router

Hello

I am looking at connecting and external hard drive to my router that will enable me to share my music collection to every device and stream to any speaker.

I have seen some posts already that state the format of the hard drive has to be ExFat.

I would like to know what the biggest size of hard drive is that can be connected to the router that will work successfully before I go and buy one that does not work?

Thank-you

2 REPLIES 2
Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

Re: Spec for hard drive to connect to router

@lucysumner1984 

My advice would be: Don't do it. For a start it uses the now discredited SMB1 protocol, blocked by default by Microsoft because of security concerns (it can be activated after agreeing to disclaimers).

Get a proper Network Attached Storage (NAS) unit. You can then have as big a disk (or disks) as you can afford.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Re: Spec for hard drive to connect to router

@lucysumner1984 

+1 for Baldrick1s suggestion of a NAS, but if you don't want the expense of that, you could use another device to plug your external hard disk into such as a computer or even some games consoles, and use that as a media server, usually involving enabling DLNA.

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/digital-home/home-networking/dlna-what-it-is-and-what-you-need-to-...