cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAGEMCOM 2704N Router Replacement cost when buying from Plusnet?

LuLuDP
Hooked

SAGEMCOM 2704N Router Replacement cost when buying from Plusnet?

I'm having issues with my broadband dropping constantly. Plusnet have asked me to try a different router. How much does a new Plusnet Router (SAGEMCOM 2704N) cost when buying from Plusnet? New ones that have never been used are being sold on Ebay for less than £10. Is there any kind of security issue when buying one of these? I don't want to waste money on a new router to then find out it's actually not the router that is the problem. Thanks in advance for any replies.

10 REPLIES 10
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: SAGEMCOM 2704N Router Replacement cost when buying from Plusnet?

@LuLuDP  Welcome to the forum.

Any amount of money spent on this piece of obsolete equipment is wasted. I’m being polite here, there are more appropriate adjectives that could be used to describe the performance.

If Plusnet will not give you a new hub then get a BT Smarthub from an auction site. You will find setting instructions and other information pinned to the top of this router board.

There are no security issues to worry about.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

LuLuDP
Hooked

Thanks for your quick response. I really wanted something as simple as possible - I keep the wireless button switched off most of the time. The router itself is mainly only used for a single  laptop and occasionally my smart phone (wireless connection). When the internet drops - the broadband light flashes, which makes me think it's not the router that's at fault. But, what do I know - I'm not particularly technically savvy.

Baldrick1

@LuLuDP 

I agree that it doesn't sound like a hub problem. I would try reporting a fault again. You can do it on line at https://faults.plus.net.

Alternatively, whilst they can be a bit thin on the ground at the week ends, wait until a Pluset staffer comes along and hopefully picks this up for you.

Moderator and Customer

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@LuLuDP 

It's possible there's a fault somewhere which is causing the dis-connections. A new router might not be the solution.

Login to your Member's portal and, from the Help pages, run the troubleshooting reports for both your phone line and internet connection. See what shows up.

Brian

LuLuDP
Hooked

Yes, I've done that. Apparently they can't find a problem up to my property. But, perhaps the internal BT wiring is at fault - which can only be checked by a BT engineer - costing £60 if they find that the fault is with my equipment. So, I thought it would be better to pick up the a new router (with the new cables) on Ebay for about £10 - which would then rule out any issues with my equipment.

Baldrick1

@LuLuDP 

You can easily check this yourself. You simply take the front off the master socket, you may need to remove two screws, newer types just clip on. In behind you will find the Test socket. Plug your filter in to the test socket and use that to connect to your hub. If you have a filtered faceplate then a filter will have been supplied with your hub. Note that this will disconnect any extensions.

Apart from that I thought that the £60 charge for no fault found was no longer applied.

Moderator and Customer

LuLuDP
Hooked

Yes, checked with the master socket already. I've also tried different filter. Same problem. So this leaves the router (and it's cable), internal BT wiring or another internet related issue.

Do you know when the £60 fee was scrapped? I was having a similar issue earlier in the year when the £60 was mentioned by Plusnet.

Baldrick1

@LuLuDP 

I’ve searched and can’t find it so we need Plusnet to comment on whether no fault found call outs are still charged.

Moderator and Customer

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@LuLuDP 

If the problem persists when using the Test socket then that rules out any internal wiring.

Brian

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Thanks a lot for reaching out @LuLuDP and I'm really sorry to see how poor your internet connection has been lately. I'll pop a visual radius below which shows a pretty bad connection, with you losing service for quite a while on regular occurrences. I've run a phone and broadband test on the line this evening though, which aren't picking up any issues with the Openreach network, so you're right, I  think there's something wrong with the router here.

Going forward, I've processed a DLM reset on the line, which can resolve both speed and intermittent issues, and I've also ordered a new Plusnet hub One to be sent out to you, free of charge. We have been having a bit of an issue recently with P&P charges being incorrectly applied, so if this is the case with you, give us a nudge on here and we'll credit it off. Smiley

See how your connection is after you've used the new router for a few days and let us know how you get on.

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds