cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone kindly advise on how to boost wifi speeds?

jamieuk147
Hooked

Anyone kindly advise on how to boost wifi speeds?

Firstly, I'm using a BT smarthub 6. Following a guide on here many years a go, I have a plusnet hub 1 linked with the BT smart hub 6 upstairs in my loft to boost signal (via ethernet)

I would like to boost wifi speeds downstairs. I'm trying to stream 4k UHD blurays via my PC to my Nvidia shield, as I get choppy playback

Is there some better router to boost wifi speeds? Or if the BT hub 6 the fastest possible?

Unfortunately, ethernet cable isn't possible to all my devices, as location would mean cable along carpets! = divorce!!... Maybe I could buy one if those plug in wifi things that has a output ethernet port?..... Not sure if a total router change will fix things or buying something to takeover the wifi completly?

Money is not a problem really. Budget £650 if needed.

Please advise? :)!!!

6 REPLIES 6
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Anyone kindly advise on how to boost wifi speeds?

Where are the PC, Shield and Smarthub located in relation to each other and how is each connected to the router/network (wired or wireless)? 

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Champnet
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 12

@jamieuk147 wrote:
Unfortunately, ethernet cable isn't possible to all my devices, as location would mean cable along carpets!

Have you looked into flat ethernet cabling ? Easily hidden under carpets......

jamieuk147
Hooked

Everything on wifi Smiley

When I buy a new house next year I will be able to do ethernet

Guys ethernet isn't possible, trust me, unless they invent virtual cabling
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

And where is each client in relation to each other?

If streaming 4K content is your goal then I can't help but think that you're fighting a losing battle trying to do it over Wi-Fi. The Smarthub is pretty much as good a Wi-Fi 5 device as you're going to get, and Wi-Fi 6 probably isn't a consideration anyway as the Shield doesn't support it (and I'd question whether or not your PC does too).

You may have some success with Powerline adapters, but it's entirely dependent on your electrical wiring and they definitely aren't without problems. In a new build house, I've personally seen Powerline latency deteriorate intermittently and require a reboot of the circuit. Latency is definitely something you're not going to suffer kindly where 4K streaming is concerned.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@jamieuk147 

I know nothing about this nvidea device so maybe a silly question: Can you download the high resolution data from your pd to its memory at your leisure then play it from this local memory? 
I thought that it was impossible to invisibility wire my house with Ethernet but have found ways via circuitous routes that involves going through the loft and externally down the back of drainpipes etc. 
If you are having a new house built then get Ethernet wired in from the start. Some builders are insulating stud walls and floors with metal foil faced insulation boards. This is excellent at both heat and wireless insulation! It kills WiFi propagation dead.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

jhonalbert

1. Use a wireless range extender. 
  2. Add access points. 
  3. Speed up the data stream. 
  4. Update routers, gateways, and devices to the latest Wi-Fi 6 standard.