cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router signal has become weaker

mac32bit
Hooked

Router signal has become weaker

Our wireless devices have started dropping connection to the router. It's been fine for years with good signal coverage around the house. Now you have to be in the same room as the router to maintain connection.

WiFi analyser shows weak or even no signal where once it was good. Nothing has changed that I can think of to change things.

Should I get a new router?
13 REPLIES 13
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Router signal has become weaker

@mac32bit Welcome to the forums. Which modem/router are you using, and how long have you had it?

John
mac32bit
Hooked

Hi John
Thanks for replying. It's a Technicolour TG582n and we've had it since 2014.
Mark
jab1
Legend

@mac32bit One of the better modem/routers PN have had, but it is getting a bit long in the tooth now. How long have you got to the end of your contract (which must be for ADSL with that kit)?

If you are towards the end of contract, you could possibly negotiate a new one and get the Hub2 - or upgrade to FTTC and definitely get the current Hub.

John
mac32bit
Hooked

John
Thanks I'll have a word when I speak to tech support, I've currently got an open fault ticket with PN who are monitoring the connection. Not sure what that will show as it's a wireless connection issue, the broadband connection is sound as I can connect to internet with cable into router.
Mark
jab1
Legend

Mark - I doubt you will get a Hub2 on the back of a wireless issue, maybe a Hub1, which could induce more problems for you.

Are you in contract, or paying out-of-contract, i.e. a high price for your service? If I were you, I would see what price you could negotiate for an FTTC connection (if it is available to you, of course).

John
Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Hi Mark

If you're counting the pennies like most of us, you might consider the BT HH6, plenty on eBay for £15-£20. The 582 was great for its day, the Hub One was better but you would see a vast improvement with HH6. Plenty of advice on setup elsewhere on this forum.

Mike

mac32bit
Hooked

Hi Mike

Thanks for your reply.

I've ordered an HH6 off eBay so hopefully that will fix it.

Mark

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Thanks a lot for getting in touch @mac32bit and I'm sorry to hear that you've been having issues with the wireless connection. Our technical support team are currently monitoring your connection, though I've tested the line today and can see that it's banded at 35Mbps. A request has now been raised to have it unbanded.

In the meantime, I can also see that you've had your router for around 8 years now, despite re-contracting. I'd therefore be more than happy to send out a Plusnet Hub One router. If you'd prefer a Hub Two, I'd recommend hanging fire until your contract is up for renewal, and requesting this through our Customer Options Team.

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
jab1
Legend

Ah, so @mac32bit is on an FTTC connection, using a two-part modem/router.

John
mac32bit
Hooked

Hi John

Does that make a difference?

Mark

mac32bit
Hooked

Hi Adam,

Thanks for your reply. I would appreciate it if you could send the Hub 1.

Kind regards,

Mark

jab1
Legend

@mac32bit wrote:

Hi John

Does that make a difference?

Mark

Not to the performance of the 582N in general - the issues you have are most likely merely due to its age.

John
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Thanks a lot for getting back to us @mac32bit. I'll pop a visual radius below which does show improvements in your line's stability since a DLM reset was put through, but I've still ordered a new router to be sent out given the length of time that you've been using yours. Smiley

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds