Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router reboots daily

JRT
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Router reboots daily

I have recently updated my router to Hub Two and seem to have some issues. After allowing things to settle for a day or two, allowing firmware to update and so on, I'm now finding the router is rebooting every day, somewhere between 01:00 and 03:00 AM. It's looking like the exchange has banded the line at 54.488 Mbps, it reboots at the same rate every time while the SNR wanders around between 6.0 and 7.0 dB. Not sure if this is a router or a line issue, the previous HubOne was rock steady for long periods of time. 

In the last three months, my sync rate (and download rate) has dropped from a rock-steady 68.000Mbps to a wobbly 54.000 Mbps with no changes by me. Is it just coincidence that BT now has an “Up to 55 Mbps” product as well as “Up to 68 Mbps” product which PlusNet doesn’t have, maybe trying to push folks toward Full Fibre?  My exchange is not in a Full Fibre priority area and no idea when it might be available. I've been with PlusNet for a good, long while and am reluctant to leave but would really appreciate the speed I originally contracted for.

18 REPLIES 18
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 256

Re: Router reboots daily

@JRT Can you post the Hubs WAN log, preferably a longish excerpt, around the time of these reboots? As you say, it should be more solid than this.

John
JRT
Rising Star

Please find attached the log file from Hub Two, in .csv format.  Relevant part is from midnight 16th Oct, prior to that probably me   re-booting during setting up.  Notice that it didn't reboot last evening (21st). It might also be relevant that there have been a lot of OpenReach and Kelly Communications seen in the area over the last couple of weeks.  Could Full Fibre be imminent?  The OpenReach website suggests probably not with a plan date of '23 to '25 for completion in this area.

jab1
Legend

A little hard to read in .csv format, but the interesting bit is the 'ERROR_NO_CARRIER report does suggest the OR/Kelly activity could well be a contributory factor.

Really needs someone with more detailed knowledge than me, but now I've picked this up, maybe one of the more experienced/knowledgable forum members may respond.

Interesting that it didn't happen last night - any OR/Kelly activity today?

John
JRT
Rising Star

Yes, I've seen at least 2 vans around in adjacent streets during today.  If the theory holds, perhaps we should see a reboot tonight?  I'll post back tomorrow.....

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

A quick import into Excel, then Ctrl F for Link Down messages revealed 6 entries, 4 between 1-3 in the morning, the other 2 at 17:12 and 17:42 so can't see that being OR or Kelly's.

Just wondering if there is any trace of noise on the line?

Another thought, I have seen other reports of the Hub2 having slower sync speeds than some other modem/routers.

jab1
Legend

Thanks for that 'extraction', @Mustrum . I kind of agree it may not be the 'work' being guilty at the ~5PM times, but still possible if they were on-site - who knows what they were doing, even inadvertently?

John
JRT
Rising Star

The two log entries around 17:00 would be me rebooting after changing cables around and reconnecting.  I've run a Quiet Line Test several times during the last few days, with not a crackle showing up.  Some years ago we had a Taxi office adjacent to the BT green cabinet which caused total chaos for a while. but that is now long gone.  Incidentally, the cabinet in question is about 400 metres away from my house, so I would guess the copper run is quite short.  

Regarding Hub One, I can try putting it back in tomorrow.  I'll post back when done.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 75

@jab1 

I would suggest opening the CSV file using a text app, I'd recommend notepad ++. Then you need not worry about column setups when open with a spreadsheet app.

See attached

jab1
Legend

Thanks Dan - I'll see if notepad++ works on Linux, or find an equivalent.

John
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Plenty of equivalents to choose from @jab1 depending upon what distro you are using.
From simple ones like gedit or mousepad. To more advanced ones (developers stuff) like geany.
That's RPM to you!!
jab1
Legend

Thanks @Dan_the_Van - it was available from the Zorin Library - sorted!

@RPMozley I'm still earning this Linux stuff - thanks for the other options, as well.

John
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

For Zorin gedit is simply called “text editor” and is installed by default under the accessories category.
That's RPM to you!!
JRT
Rising Star

Hub Two didn’t reboot last night, so probably something to do with OR finished what they were doing.  Next move will be to put Hub One back in service and see if the sync speed changes (hopefully upward!)

I had thought to use Hub Two in Bridge mode alongside my Asus XT8 router for decent Wi-Fi, i.e. better than built in Wi-Fi on Hub One or Hub Two. If sync speed is an issue with Hub Two then Hub One will do, but not bridged.

If Hub Two is in Bridge mode, can I still see line statistics?

jab1
Legend

@JRT Can't answer your question, but either @Dan_the_Van  , or @Baldrick1  can.

John