Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router booster?

ellythemoo
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Router booster?

Ah, sorry I kept banging on about ethernet cables! Fingers crossed that the ethernet cable will do the trick.

ellythemoo
Rising Star

Can I ask wat you mean by Sky WAP please?

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@ellythemoo 

My apologies, I have got you mixed up with another thread.
I thought that you had an old Sky hub that you had configured as a WAP.If both your computer and Sky box both have Ethernet connections and you don’t need wireless then you can use both at the same time if you put a switch on the end of the long cable and branch off to the computer and Sky box from this.  https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-SG1005D-Desktop-Gigabit-Ethernet/dp/B00ZOOJXEG/ref=sr_1_6?_encod...

If you also want wireless then you need a Wireless Access Point or WAP instead. These cost a bit more. Start off with the Ethernet cable and see if that works first.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

ellythemoo
Rising Star

We have something similar at work, like this, is it any good?

WIWAV WDH-2ET1FX-DC 10/100Mbps 3-Port Industrial Ethernet Media Converter with DIN Rail/Multi-Mount(Pack of 2,Fanless,-30℃~75℃) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B084G2HMBH/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_91G26MWRXZW2F8RXJVNS
Baldrick1

@ellythemoo 

Unfortunately not for what you need. This device is designed to turn a fibre connection into 2 RJ45 LAN outputs. Have you got an old router or modem/router kicking around that could b adapted?

Moderator and Customer

dave501
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 6

Rather than a long Ethernet cable wouldn't it be easier to use homeplugs the pass through type
https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9156900?istCompanyId=a74d8886-5df9-4baa-b776-166b3bf9111c&istFeedId=...
ellythemoo
Rising Star

@Baldrick1 Ironically, no, as I sent my old ones back for recycling! But maybe the new cable will suffice.

@dave501 what would that do? (Sorry for a stupid question, I've read the product description but can't figure out how it would work without a cable)

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

what would that do? (Sorry for a stupid question, I've read the product description but can't figure out how it would work without a cable)

They replace a long ethernet cable by using your electrical wiring. You plug in one unit to an electrical socket close to the router and one in a socket where you want the remote connection. They each have short ethernet cables to connect to the router and the remote device. The pass-through versions means that you dont need an additional electrical socket as the electrical supply to the router/remote device can be plugged into the units.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Baldrick1

@ellythemoo 

We are going around in circles here. If you go back to post 4 (https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Router-booster/m-p/1829503#M28344) that was one of the original options that I suggested.

Moderator and Customer

ellythemoo
Rising Star

I'm sorry if I'm being annoying. I am not techy at all and can't get my head around how things impose on each other. I will see how the extended cable gets on - in the short term, it may do the trick, as I haven't had to buy it - and then look at investing in those plug things in due course as it would be nice not to have a cable getting all tangled up. I have no idea how they work, but presuming I just plug one unit by the router, and the other by my laptop or Sky, and that the internet connection somehow gets passed between the two, it should be the ideal longterm solution. 

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

@ellythemoo 

Something like this might do you (£36.98)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07J652QRY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

You don't loose any power sockets so that's a bonus. You plug an ethernet cable from the modem/router into the first and then you have two ethernet ports available on the other. For £29.99 there is a version that only has one port available on the second unit.

There are other types which act as a WiFi access point.

Brian

Baldrick1

@ellythemoo 

I agree that Powerline could be the solution but they can be problematic in some properties. If you follow the links in my previous post then this will tell you how to check whether you are liable to have problems.

The key thing is to stick with plan A, gain reassurance for free with the Ethernet cable that this will resolve your problems and at least give you a temporary fix. You can then consider other options, which will involve you spending money.

Moderator and Customer

ellythemoo
Rising Star

Thank you all for your help. I'll report back!

ellythemoo
Rising Star

So far so good! I needed the longer cable to get to Sky, and found a shorter one to go on my PC. Both seem to be working very happily! Unfortunately they're both black, but if I decide to keep them here I can get some trunking or whatever it is, or get them painted so they don't look so obvious.

Will these items using ethernet mean my Wifi works better? or does it not work that way?