Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router booster?

ellythemoo
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Router booster?

I finally got my account hoohas with Plusnet sorted, but the Wifi is still woefully under par. My socket & router are in one room, and my wifi signal drops drastically when I go out of it, even just into the next room. I can't move my socket so am having to access Sky via Wifi; could this cause an issue?

I spoke to Plusnet last night and was told that they'd split the Wifis on the router to make 5G and normal separate, but the 5G one isn't appearing on any of my devices.

Will I have to get a router booster and if so can anyone recommend one? I have fibre and don't really see why I should have to boost the wifi from the next room!

Thank you.

28 REPLIES 28
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Re: Router booster?

@ellythemoo 

Given the unlimited variations within properties ISP's cannot be responsible for a customers WiFi - they can only guarentee the incoming speed.

PlusNet are a "value" or "basic" brand who use a basic modem/router. It is a re-badged BT HH5.

Many PlusNet users buy a BT HH6 off eBay and use that but it is still no guarentee this would fix your problems.

Brian

ellythemoo
Rising Star

Thanks for your reply. Any idea what could be causing it? My walls aren't 50ft thick!

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@ellythemoo 

There are many reasons starting by the fact that th Hub oe is not that good. A BT Smarthub 6 is better and might do the job. This post might give you  clue to other options. https://community.plus.net/t5/Tech-Help-Software-Hardware-etc/Distributing-Data-around-Larger-Proper...

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

ellythemoo
Rising Star

Thanks very much. I'm going to start by getting a v long ethernet cable to either bring the router into the sitting room where I do most of my work (it's in the bedroom presently, which I hate) or to connect my Sky box to the router. I guess if I get a second even longer ethernet cable then I could do both which may help?

bmc
Hero

@ellythemoo 

Can you confirm your Master Socket is in the bedroom and there are no other extensions.

To move the modem/router you'd need a telephone cable not ethernet . You can get signal loss doing this so if you go down this road buy a high quality (ie not cheap) one.

Ethernet cable works up to around 100m

Brian

Baldrick1

@bmc wrote:

To move the modem/router you'd need a telephone cable not ethernet . You can get signal loss doing this so if you go down this road buy a high quality (ie not cheap) one.

@ellythemoo  This has to be the worst option if you want to use the upstairs Master socket for a phone as this will introduce a 'Bridge tap' to your connection.

Use an Ethernet cable to the downstairs room. Then it's a case of what you need dowmstairs. If it's just one Ethernet outlet just plug the cable in to the computer and away you go. If you want wireless or more than one Ethernet connection downstairs then plug the lead from the router into your Sky WAP and you have another three Ethernet outlets plus the Sky wireless downstairs ready for use.

Remember, Ethernet connections are always better than wireless.

Moderator and Customer

ellythemoo
Rising Star

Thank you both. I only have one socket, which is in the bedroom. It's a flat so everything is on the same floor, hence I still don't understand why there are issues! However, it looks like if i get a loooooooooong ethernet cable, I can move the router into the sitting room, attach Sky to it via an ethernet cable, and hopefully my laptop too; then use wireless for, er, wireless things like my phone and tablet.

bmc
Hero

@ellythemoo 

To be clear - you cannot use an ethernet cable to move your modem/router.

Depending on your style of Master socket it might be possible to fit an extension socket by running high quality cable through to where you would want to set up using a wall mounted back box. A filtered face plate could then be used to remove the need for the filter dongle.

Brian

ellythemoo
Rising Star

If I get a longer ethernet cable, why can't I move my router into another room? It will still be running from the same socket? Sorry if this is a stupid question, I'm not particularly technical.

Or I mean whichever cable it is which plugs in from the phone line into the router.
ellythemoo
Rising Star

How about this cable; could I plug this into my router to go into Sky or my laptop and leave the router where it is?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0936C9XYF
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Baldrick1

@ellythemoo 

Yes, that’s the way to do it, this cable is much higher spec than you need. If you shop around you will find cheaper options. Cat 5e should do the job. Cat 6 will eat it. Do you really need 50m, that’s about 165 feet?

Moderator and Customer

ellythemoo
Rising Star

We have one of these lying around at work I've been given so I figure it's worth a shot! I will try it out and let you know. Thanks again for all your assistance.

bmc
Hero

@ellythemoo wrote:
If I get a longer ethernet cable, why can't I move my router into another room? It will still be running from the same socket? Sorry if this is a stupid question, I'm not particularly technical.

Or I mean whichever cable it is which plugs in from the phone line into the router.

@ellythemoo 

An ethernet cable is an entirely different beast from a phone cable. They use different connections for a start (RJ11 & RJ45) though they look the same.

The modem/router must use a phone cable to connect to the incoming OpenReach line.

Brian