cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replace Archer D5 with Smart Hub 6

philiplgbennett
Dabbler

Replace Archer D5 with Smart Hub 6

I've currently got a BT Adsl fibre modem and an Archer D5 AC1200 modem / router. Everything is working fine but I'm thinking about replacing both boxes to tidy things up. First, I know I can get the Smart Hub 6 off eBay for 25 quid but does anyone know how it compares to the TP Link box ? Also, I'm right I can just plug the Smart Hub 6 straight into the wall for a single box solution? Thanks in advance, Phil
Tags (1)
8 REPLIES 8
Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Re: Replace Archer D5 with Smart Hub 6

Don't know how the Archer compares but I replaced the PN Hub One with BT HH6 and it's brilliant. Better wifi and no bright lights! Baldrick posted an excellent guide at the head of this forum, https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/td-p/1587673

philiplgbennett
Dabbler

hi mate, yeah i've had a good read through that guide. The guy from PlusNet chat reckons the TP Link is better than the Hub One but from what I've read the HH6 is newer and more advanced than the Hub One. Are you on fibre? Its just a single lead out of the master socket into the HH6 and thats it ?

Kevin
Rising Star

Yes, single lead from Master socket to HH6. Get the Business version as it allows you to change DNS servers.

Kevin.
philiplgbennett
Dabbler

We've got two at work and the boss said I can have one. 

Is there a way to tell externally if they are Home Hub or Business Hub versions ? Model numbers etc ?

PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

I bought an 088315 which is a business version. Although looking just now on its status page it says +088317. So I would assume both of those product codes refer to the business variant.

philiplgbennett
Dabbler

The lad at work had a look on the back and they both say Smart Hub 5 so it looks like eBay for me.......  see if I can pick one up. I was hoping to get my hands on one to test. Speed isn't an issue at the moment, just be nice to have my kit a lot tidier.

Kevin
Rising Star

Mine says +088315 on both the back and on the status page. Wonder what the difference is....

Kevin.
philiplgbennett
Dabbler

How configurable is the interface if you need to do things like NAT rules ?