Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RSSI for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz signals awful

carlwinkle
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

RSSI for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz signals awful

I suspect like many I've suddenly started utilising my wifi more than previously. Even though i sit approx. 10ft from my route my wireless signal is sometimes so bad i drop from Skype calls.

Initially i thought it may just be the 5Ghz signal issue, but i now utilise the 2.4Ghz signal and i still face issues.

I downloaded a program called wirelessnetview which identifies signal strength for all wireless networks in range. Currently the RSSI for my 2.4Ghz signal is -60, for the 5Ghz its -71. My neighbors Virgin signal has lower numbers and it's at least two double brick walls away.

2 REPLIES 2
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: RSSI for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz signals awful

Use the wifi analyser to ascertain least used channels on both bands; then switch router to these.
Ensure you don't have cordless phones & the like in vicinity of router. Openreach have also advised today that using a microwave is detrimental to wifi speeds too.
carlwinkle
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Re: RSSI for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz signals awful

I swapped from channel 1 to channel 6 as this was the least congested one, this has bought some improvement.

The RSSI for the 2.4GHz still likes to spike on occasion though which results in a massive degradation in signal.

My router is not located near cordless phone or microwave.