Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems connecting with Tp link ER605

FIXED
cornmeal1133

Problems connecting with Tp link ER605

Hi all,

Newish to both plusnet and UK ISPs. I have Full Fibre 500, the plushub 2 router, and a recent version of the openreach modem box. For a variety of reasons, I would like to use a 3rd party router. I have purchased the omada ER605 Tp-link router (non-wifi). For the life of me I cannot get it to connect to the internet as the only router. I've tried the following:

- Putting the Hub2 into bridge mode and not changing any default settings on the tplink.

- Putting Hub2 into bridge mode and setting up PPPoE using my yourusername@plusdsl.net + password setup as well as the bare min settings suggested under this plus net info: https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/broadband-connection-settings/ with the vlan 101 setting

- Same as above but without the vlan 101 setting.

- Skipping the plusnet hub2 all together and employing the same strategies by connecting the tplink router directly into the openreach box. Both with the PPPoE with and without vlan set.

I have the red ended ethernet cable connected to the red WAN port in the Hub2 and have connected the tplink to the Hub2 by connecting Hub2 Lan1 to Tplink Wan port. This works if I wanted to just leave the hub2 as a router and string the tplink router into it (I don't, of course) but I can't get it to actually become my sole router.

I'm pretty new to all of this so any help at all would be extremely appreciated.

Cheers

4 REPLIES 4
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

Re: Problems connecting with Tp link ER605

Fix

@cornmeal1133 welcome to the forum

The fibre ONT is a modem, so you do not need another one, so the Hub two should not be put in bridge mode

If the TP-Link devices allow for PPPoE connection connect a wan port directly to the ONT, no VLAN setting is required the ONT does that for you

Some reading on my side is needed to understand the TP-Link config.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

As @Dan_the_Van  says, just connect a wan port of the ER605 directly to the ONT, select PPPoE and use your plusnet credentials. It will work fine, I've been using one for a few months now on a full fibre 900Mb connection and it's excellent

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

cornmeal1133

So this worked.

I swear I have tried this a number of times and it didn't work. If anyone is struggling, the final version of this involved me resetting the er605 since the last time I tried bridge mode. I changed nothing else, plugged the ONT cable into the WAN port and (this is the only other thing that seemed different?) I plugged the computer ethernet cable into a LAN port instead of a LAN/WAN port. No clue if it was related-- the LAN/WAN ports were set to LAN anyway-- but now it works.

Thanks Dan_the_Van et all for apparently blessing my ER605.

Cheers!

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

@cornmeal1133 glad it's working, I did start looking through the userguide but I've now stopped as you've got it working.

If you've got some spare time it's here:- 

https://static.tp-link.com/upload/manual/2022/202208/20220830/1910013241_ER605(UN)2.0_UG.pdf 

Dan.