Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible privacy / security problem after changing to a non plusnet router

FIXED
Star-Light100
Grafter

Re: Possible privacy / security problem after changing to a non plusnet router

Hi, thank you for your reply. So all plus net users on dynamic IP address have their username as part of the machine name that grc picks up when it does a rDNS look up ? Is this how it’s supposed to be?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

To be fair, I have not yet been able to confirm that in respect of "all" or any "dynamic IP address" users.

I have checked some of my referrals whom I believe to be on DYNAMIC IP addresses - some of them ...

• do not have any DNS A+AAAA records (there will definitely be dynamic IP address users)
  • do have DNS A+AAAA records, but I cannot be certain that they are dynamic IP addresses (212.X.X.X) - I know that some of them are static IP addresses (81.... and 84....)

For these which do have A+AAAA addresses in the DNS, they also have the DEFAULT rDNS of accountname.plus.com

Is that how it is SUPPOSED to be, infers a recognised standard, as opposed to whatever practice is deemed appropriate within any given organisation.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Star-Light100
Grafter

Thank you again for your help with this matter,
If I don’t want my username to be displayed and potentially captured by a web site I haven’t given permission to. Is there anyway to stop this happening? Other isp’s do just include half of the IP address you happen to be on at the time. Wouldn’t it make more sense and be safer for plusnet customers ? I know I would feel much safer without my username being available to any website that wishes to take that information without my permission.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Fix
You can raise a rDNS change request via the call centre or via the EVERYTHING ELSE board on the forum. If anyone advises that this is not permitted for residential accounts ask them to check with “Albert”.

I would concur with your suggestion that there are better options for the default rDNS setting.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@Townman wrote:

To be fair, I have not yet been able to confirm that in respect of "all" or any "dynamic IP address" users.

I have checked some of my referrals whom I believe to be on DYNAMIC IP addresses - some of them ...

FWIW i'm definitely on dynamic IP allocation, and GRC gives:

The text below might uniquely
identify you on the Internet

Your Internet connection's IP address is uniquely associated with the following "machine name":

120.69.xx.xxx.dyn.plus.net
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Star-Light100
Grafter

Thanks for all the help. Plusnet have fixed the issue and removed my username. A big thank you to everyone that helped 👍