Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible privacy / security problem after changing to a non plusnet router

FIXED
Star-Light100
Grafter

Possible privacy / security problem after changing to a non plusnet router

Hi. Ive just swapped my older plus net router to a new top of the range Tp link router. When you set up the router to use plus net, you have to use your user name and password to use the service.

I notice on other ISPs like BT you just have to use a generic user name and password that all BT customers who run their own routers use. Such as user name - Bt home hub, password- Bt user.

I’m all up and running, but now I notice there’s a possible privacy/security issue related to my user name being visible to any web site that should choose to Capture it.

After setting up my new router I like to test its security by using a well known web site to test such things like open ports Etc.
The first thing it showed me was that my username was visible to it’s website in full. Normally it would just show part of my ip address which is normal. But since swapping over to a none plus net router my whole username is visible. This is really not the sort of information I want to share with any website I should visit.
There are no changes in the router settings so this information is not visible. If I try and remove/ change my username the connection stops working.
Does anyone have any advice how I can stop displaying my plusnet username so website can’t pick it up. Thanks
35 REPLIES 35
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Possible privacy / security problem after changing to a non plusnet router

@Star-Light100 Welcome to the forums. I'm not a networking expert by any means, but some of your comments seem a little at odds with what I experienced when I was with Plusnet.

As far as I am aware, to access any ISPs network as an individual, you have to log in with a unique identity - the example you give just won't work.

Which 'well known' site  do you use? I will run a test using my details and see what comes up, but I suspect you are seeing things slightly wrongly, or maybe the TP-link isn't as good as you think at keeping you secure?

John
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Hi @Star-Light100 

Welcome to the forums.

If I am correct, I believe you need to request a reverse DNS change, so it doesn't display your username. This has come up on here before and people have had it done.

Hopefully a member of staff will pick this up and can get it done for you.

jab1
Legend

@Alex I believe that only applies to users with a static IP - dynamic ones are not affected.

John
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Thanks John, yeah I just thought of that after I had posted.
The OP didn't say whether they were, but if they're not then it is not what I just said.

Star-Light100
Grafter

Hi Guys, thank you for your reply, the website I use is grc shields up. Its a testing website for weak spots in home networks. I wasn’t sure if I could name web sites outside of here. I am on a dynamic ip address.
jab1
Legend

@Star-Light100 I guessed it was grc. I'll run a test there when I've had my lunch, but I still suspect you could be reading the results wrongly. So long as a website is legal, there is nothing stopping you linking to it on Plusnet.

John
Star-Light100
Grafter

Thanks for your reply. The results are on the first page titled” The text below might uniquely identify you on the Internet” below that shows my plusnet username
jab1
Legend

Unfortunately I'm no longer with PN so can't check, but if I remember correctly, those on dynamic addresses should see something which quotes you IP address, followed by something like 'dsl.dyn.plus.net' - can't claim that text is correct, as I never bothered checking with grc after it got some details wrong, years back.

John
Star-Light100
Grafter

Yes that’s right. It should read half your ip address followed by the plusdsl.net. But sadly mine reads my full username.
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

In that case you must have a static IP Address, I had mine changed and I see

Screenshot 2022-04-23 140214.png

Dan.

jab1
Legend

@Star-Light100 That suggests to me that you have a static IP, but someone with more networking knowledge may be able to comment.

John
Star-Light100
Grafter

Yes. That’s what it should look like.I will check the settings again in the router to make sure it’s not set to static IP address or anything like that.
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

@Star-Light100 

which TP-Link router are you using?

You should not be setting up any IP information, your plusnet profile assigns either a static or dynamic address

Star-Light100
Grafter

It’s an Archer VR2800. The only place I added my user name and p word was to connect to the Adsl line or the connection won’t work