cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port forwarding to a single device

leaky5
Hooked

Port forwarding to a single device

We have a Plusnet One Hub in our data centre, used to just connect to 1 device for out of band management.

Can I just port forward on 443 as this is the only device connected to the hub or is it best to assign a new external port for it and forward that to the IP on 443 ?

7 REPLIES 7
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

Re: Port forwarding to a single device

Hi @leaky5 welcome to the forum.

It is not really advised to forward 'common' ports on a router so I would suggest mapping a random external port to port 443.

Hope this helps

Dan.

leaky5
Hooked

Thanks Dan

I will give this a go tomorroww

leaky5
Hooked

OK, My internal device is on port 80 and I want to connect as https/xx.xx.xx.xx from the internet

All the examples of custom entries show the same port in the port range and translate to.

I would have thought one side would be 80 and the other 443

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

@leaky5 

to connect to a specific port from the internet you need to specify which port you are connecting to when you have applied port mapping

So if you have mapped port 54321 outside to port 443 inside you would enter <publicIPAddress>:54321

The setup of the rule would look something like

Screenshot 2021-09-30 173714.png

I would avoid all 'common' ports from you mappings

Hope this helps

Dan.

Edit :- the built in firewall of the Hub One would block inbound connection to port 80 and many others, that's the importance of not using ports below 1024 for custom rules

This link might help https://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/ 

leaky5
Hooked

@Dan_the_Van Thanks

I have tried the settings like above, used a port over 1024. I am begining to wonder if the issue is with the final device. I am just tryinf to work out if I can set up a basic web server just to test this out.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

@leaky5 

Have you considered setting up a VPN server on you remote network. Raspberry Pi is a cheap standalone option running OpenVPN or Wireguard

You could then use a remote desktop application to connect to devices and also you can manage your Hub One.

Dan.

leaky5
Hooked

@Dan_the_Van Thanks Dan. I have now set up 2 port forwards, one on 80 and one on 443, using higher TCP ports. It seems no one can now use the remote device becuase it uses Adobe flash. So I need to leave this set up and hopefully we can find a way to get the devie to work again.

Otherwise its another 400+ mile round trip for me again.