cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor wifi

fockewulf
Grafter

Poor wifi

Hi, Wifi never has been too good here and more devices are trying to use it so we would like to try and improve it.

From other posts I have read on here I understand the new Plusnet router is better than the Plusnet Hub One, I don't know if we would be able to buy one of the new model routers but if we can is that the way to go or is one of these systems where you have boxes all over the house best?

5 REPLIES 5
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Poor wifi

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Broadband to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@fockewulf 

There is no clear answer to your question. For the very best Internet performance then avoid WiFi altogether and interconnect everything with Ethernet cable, probably an impractical solution! The Hub 2 can be bought from Plusnet for about £100 but there are other third party combined modem/routers available at that price that have more features. Multiple mesh units spread around are good but expensive if you want dual band coverage. Other options are described here:  https://community.plus.net/t5/Tech-Help-Software-Hardware-etc/Distributing-Data-around-Larger-Proper...

The cheapest option and worth trying is to get a BT Smarthub or Smarthub 2 from an auction site. These have the same wireless performance as a new Plusnet Hub 2. You will find setting instructions pinned at the top of this board.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

fockewulf
Grafter

Thanks for your reply and the informative link, will look into the mesh system, I just checked on ebay and there are some fairly reasonable prices so will see how that goes first.

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hiya @fockewulf, thanks for getting in touch on our forum. I'm sorry that you're having some issues with your WiFi and for the problems this causes!

If not already done so, to try help with the WiFi issues and make the most out of your Hub One's settings, I would advise splitting the wireless frequencies to see if that helps. 

I can try do this remotely for you if you like? Alternatively you can find the steps to do this manually here: https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/2-4ghz-and-or-5ghz-best-practice/td-p/1351950

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
TeeGee
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 1

WiFi requirements by even the average user have reached a state where the equally average router (from most ISPs ) is just not up to the job.

My solution was a simple Netgear range extender bought on the spur of the moment when passing Argos.  I was astonished at the result and had I given it more thought I would have bought an even better one for a tenner more! Prices not as cheap as they used to be but some good deals in the £39/49 range. The TP-Link bargain looks a good deal too.

There are multiple choices HERE with differing specifications to cover dual band and multiple devices. Other well known brands are available too!