cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor wi-fi connection since switching to Plusnet

Ronnie8M
Dabbler

Poor wi-fi connection since switching to Plusnet

Hi. Switched to Plusnet from BT just under 2 weeks ago and since then I've been having problems with wi-fi - losing connection on Smart TV in next room and difficulty with wi-fi on mobiles. PC is fine and wired via ethernet cable to hub and I've no extension sockets etc. I've opened a question with support team and they've sent me a list of checks to do - I replied to this a couple of days ago but still no response so thought it might be worth posting on here. I'm confident there's nothing wrong with my equipment or line - Openreach sorted out a fault in the underground cable a couple of months ago and everything was tested and fine since then - until the point of moving to Plusnet. Support team have advised me to try router in test socket with nothing else connected but can't do this as I need the landline connected as it's an emergency contact number. Also suggested I try another router - I have BT Smart Hub type B - happy to try this but need some instructions for how to set it up correctly. Can see other posts related to this topic but with different routers. Is this the next best thing to try? If so can someone point me in right direction! Thank you

18 REPLIES 18
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Re: Poor wi-fi connection since switching to Plusnet

Many people use the BT Smarthub and there are instructions on how to do so in the My Router section here.

Ronnie8M
Dabbler

Thanks - will give it a try. Think I understand steps 1-11. Do I need to do no.12 as I didn't do this previously with BT hub? If so, how do I know which channel to use? Fairly new to all this! Thanks

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@Ronnie8M 

No there's no need to separate the channels. I included it because some devices have trouble when they're synchronised.

If you do need to separate them then what you do is go into your device wireless settings and select each in turn and simply use the best. But as I said, if it worked before without following this step then just ignore it.

One tip. Be sure to follow the instruction regarding when to plug the DSL cable in.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Ronnie8M
Dabbler

@Baldrick1 

That's great - thanks for your help and I'll see how I get on. 

Mav
Fixes: 515

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Thread moved from Fibre Broadband to My Router.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @Ronnie8M, I'm sorry that you're having issues with the WiFi, let us know how you get on with the BT router. I've also replied to your ticket with steps on separating the wireless frequencies on the Hub One as this will help with a lot of wireless issues.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
Ronnie8M
Dabbler

Hi Lauren. Thanks for your reply and to my question on the open ticket - I will try setting the BT router up but very disappointed that I'm having to mess about with all this 2 weeks after switching to Plusnet. Nothing in my set up has changed and I live in a modern bungalow with no thick walls and rooms all close together so should be able to get wi-fi in the next room! I didn't have to separate channels before with BT and there's nothing else new causing interference. Looking at the forum there seem to be a lot of posts about this issue. Hopefully by not using the Plusnet router I can get back to a decent wi-fi signal. Will let  you know how it goes. Thanks

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @Ronnie8M,

I'm very sorry for the inconvenience that the wireless issue has caused you and I'll pass on your feedback. Please let us know if you continue to experience any connection problems after you swap to the BT router.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
Ronnie8M
Dabbler

Well I set up the BT router and that seemed to help with the wi-fi for mobiles and most of the functions on the Smart TV - so can watch ITV hub, Amazon Prime - however I am having issues with iplayer which keeps freezing after a few minutes and usually disconnecting from the internet. I can reconnect to the internet by switching the tv off and back on my the same thing happens next time. I didn't have this issue previously. I have tried: resetting Smart TV so all apps reloaded, moving wi-fi router a bit closer (now about 4-5 metres away and at roughly same height level as TV in next room, separated channels - would only connect to 2.4 ghz , turned off autoplay on iplayer, it was already on standard setting for screen not HD. In fact the more times I try to watch iplayer, the worse it gets and now only plays for a few minutes before freezing! Any advice or help please as to what to do / what is causing it. Thank you

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @Ronnie8M, thanks for your response.

When you say that the app freezes - is any sort of error message displayed, or does it simply freeze leaving you with no option but to turn the TV off/on?

Ronnie8M
Dabbler

Hi @OskarPapa 

The picture will either freeze or jump to the end of the programme and return to start screen of programme. If I press return on the remote I just get the circling ring indefinitely. If I press play to try and restart programme, I can an error message saying 'Something went wrong playing this programme. This is usually a temporary problem. If it continues here are some of the things to try: Check your internet connection. Change the video quality in settings'. If I press the Exit button on the remote it goes back to normal tv but the internet is disconnected. The only way of reconnecting to the internet is to turn the tv off and on again.

Tried iplyer app on my mobile in the same room and it too froze after 5-10 mins. Mobile seems to be able to play iplayer in the room with the router though didn't leave it on for very long. 

I have gone back to all the original settings I had on my BT router so replicate how it was before when all was working ok.

Just tried a wi-fi speed test with my mobile next to the smart tv (though will that be on 5ghz?) which was 28mbps download, 5.5 upload and 43 ping. Moved to the back of the bungalow, ie further away from the router and test is 27mbps, 6 upload and 61 ping.

Are there any checks/tests you can do from your end around the disconnecting over wi fi? Thanks

Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

Hi there @Ronnie8M

I'm afraid there aren't any checks we can perform on our side in relation to wireless performance. Ultimately it's something we can't control as the router is effectively broadcasting your wifi signal like a radio tower and your devices are tuning in.

Like a radio broadcast, some frequencies need tuning in (channel changes) to ensure a better reception or to eliminate other interference on a similar wavelength.

One thing that does make me curious however, is that your speeds from your tests seem to be plenty enough to be streaming Iplayer.

From personal experience, I'm fortunate enough to be on a super fast FTTP connection and even then Iplayer does have a tendency to freeze. It then occasionally hangs when going back to the menus with the only option to close and restart the app. I believe it's in the way the app works.

If you don't mind me asking, is this the only app/channel you are having problems with streaming. You mention you also watch ITV hub and Amazon. Are they problem free?

Ronnie8M
Dabbler

Hi @Optimatts 

Thanks for your reply. Appreciate what you're saying about wifi performance but ultimately anyone who takes out a broadband package would expect a reasonable level of wifi connectivity and performance. As you say, my speeds are ok.  I had to switch back to the BT router which generally improved things - apart from iplayer.  Smart tv plays ITV Hub and Amazon Prime ok. I haven't tried other apps that I don't use. I could live with a tendency to freeze - however it is every time without fail! Plays for 5 mins or so then freezes and disconnects. What is more curious is that this has only happened since switching to Plusnet and now I'm back using BT router nothing else in my set up has changed. I suppose it's not a major issue in the scheme of things - I could always do something else! - but disappointing and not what I expected when moving over to Plusnet. Thanks

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Thanks for getting back to us @Ronnie8M.

As the issue is still present with iPlayer when using the BT Router - it's likely that it is an app error, particularly as no other apps are affected.

Can you confirm if the iPlayer app works on other devices?

What @Optimatts says is correct - we can't do a great deal with regards wireless issues but we can certainly do our utmost to help you to locate where the issue may lie.