cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Modem

Boz
Rising Star

Plusnet Modem

Last weekend my home was entered illegally, and I’m worried about data being taken from my Plusnet modem.  With its blue and red lights it is easy to find in the hallway, and the Wireless password and the Admin password are very clear on the back of the device. 

My question is: can that information be used by a potential hacker to access my computer?

Boz

18 REPLIES 18
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Plusnet Modem

In theory, somebody close to your property could connect to your Wi-Fi and from there they have access to your network - at which point anything goes with the right determination.

This said, it's highly unlikely - unless you're the sort of person whose identity is likely to be targeted.

If you're worried, you can change both the admin and Wi-Fi password to something of your choosing via the Hub Manager.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

YouKnowIThatGuy
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Only if you don't change the WIFI & admin passwords. Which you probably should do anyway in this case.

And if someone does "hack" it and change those, all you need to do is reset it to take back control and change them as suggested.

And the home network section on the routers web configuration would show any devices that have connected.

(now here comes someone else to tell me that I'm wrong!)

Boz
Rising Star

Thanks for all the advice.  Could you remind me again how I connect to the router.  I did it at the time of installation, but I've forgotten the procedure.

Boz

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

@Boz If it is a PN Hub - 192.168.1.254 in the address bar should get you started.

John
Boz
Rising Star

Thanks for the further info, John.

I’ve now changed the admin password, and I’ve reduced the brightness of the modem’s lights – no longer lighting up the whole hallway!!

There didn’t seem to be a “history of access” in the Home Network section, but I did find an Event Log, which showed what appeared to be a number of invalid access attempts over the last few days; but most of the time I’ve kept the modem switched off.

The 2.4GHz wireless access was disabled, and I’ve now disabled the 5GHz wireless access facility as well.  Is there any other way that the computer can be accessed by “close-by” devices?

I didn't find many options to improve security on the modem, or have I missed some things?

Boz

jab1
Legend

@Boz There is no 'access history' on that - or many - modem/routers, but the fact that those attempts were denied proves that the Hubs internal firewall is doing its job, so I wouldn't worry too much. If you switch off the Hub - not something I would suggest, personally, as that action repeated regularly could fool DLM into thinking there was a problem - unless you drop the PPP session beforehand by clicking the 'Disconnect' button first.

If you have disabled both radio frequencies does that mean you are connected by cable (computer to Hub)?

The Hubs firewall will deal with any 'drive-by' attempts, so I wouldn't worry about any other security risks.

John
Boz
Rising Star

Thanks for your help, John.

I couldn't find a "disconnect" button on the modem.  The only ones I could find are: on/off switch; restart; and wps.

Anyway, I feel a little happier about the security of the network.  Not sure what to do about the intruders!!

Boz

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@Boz wrote:

Thanks for your help, John.

I couldn't find a "disconnect" button on the modem.

It's not a button or switch. I'm not familiar with the Hub One, but if you log in as admin it'll be somewhere in the settings.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Boz
Rising Star

Sorry, but could I extend this topic by asking a few more questions about my Plusnet modem.

What is UPN Software?  And what is Port Clamping?

When I first accessed the modem to change the password, I found a telephone number, which I recognised - but it came with an ampersand sign followed by what looked like part of an email address.  Is there any way that the computer can be accessed directly through the modem using a telephone number or an email address?

Boz

jab1
Legend

@Boz Why do you ask about UPN software - can't see it mentioned in this topic?

I'll leave it to others to explain 'port clamping' as I can't seem to find a simple explanation, even using a search engine - there are plenty of links to questions presumably about it, but no direct explanations.

This 'telephone number' - where exactly did you find it? In answer to the question that followed it - I don't know for certain, but I would very seriously doubt it.

John
Champnet
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 12

@Boz wrote:

What is UPN Software?  And what is Port Clamping?

Do you remotely connect to a system at work ?

Boz
Rising Star

Thanks for the reply, John.

Having been reminded how to access the modem, I logged in and was taken straight to the “Home” page, which contains the Hub, Services and Network information.

I seem to remember seeing this telephone number fairly early on in my explorations, so I’m now wondering whether it was somewhere on this first page.  Since I’ve made the alterations I described in my previous posts, the number has never appeared again.

UPN Software came up as I was going through the various different menus.

Boz

Boz
Rising Star

@ Champnet

No I've never done that.

Boz

jab1
Legend

Never used a PN Hub of any variety, @Boz , but I would expect that to be correct. I don't think it would be on the home page, as that, if I remember correctly from the couple of times I've actually seen one, is usually only static system related data.

If you don't use a VPN, as you say in your reply to @Champnet , then I shouldn't worry about UPN/port clamping - it doesn't apply to you, and would need you to explicitly turn it on.

John