cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Hub 2 Availability

tonyball_sheff

Plusnet Hub 2 Availability

Hi

I have been with Plusnet since 2016, and I am wondering what is the chance of upgrading to the Hub 2 for personal use. My modem is getting tired, and I am now getting messages on my devices that the Plusnet connection is not fully secure because it doesn't offer WPA3 security. I also get a warning message "This network is blocking encrypted DNS traffic."

If this new router isn't available, can I use any new router that offers this higher security? How easy is it to just connect a new (non Plusnet) router?

Thanks

Tony

7 REPLIES 7
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Re: Plusnet Hub 2 Availability

@tonyball_sheff 

The HubTwo isn't yet available for residential customers and isn't likely to be handed out willy nilly. A re-contract will probably be required.

You can use any VDSL modem/router you like on PlusNet. Many on this forum have bought a BT HH6 off a well known auction site.

The required PlusNet settings can be found at

https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/broadband-connection-settings/

Brian

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

@tonyball_sheff Welcome to the Community. The Plusnet Hub2 isn't on 'general release' to residential customers yet - AFAIK it is only being offered to new Business accounts. You can use any modem/router on Plusnet, providing it is compatible with your connection type - in other words, if you are on FTTC, it has to support that technology, same if you are on ADSL - although some newer 'hubs' to use a slightly more accurate description, will support either technology.

To be honest, and I may get told off for this, for most residential customers, those warnings (Apple devices?) are a little OTT - the chance of you being caught by what WPA3 is designed to stop are very remote, as is the 'DNS' warning.

Connecting any compatible hub to a PN network is easy - you just need to enter your PN credentials where asked.

@bmc  beat me to it. 😉

John
tonyball_sheff

Thanks Brian - I will check this out.

tonyball_sheff

John

You are quite right - they are Apple devices.

I may consider a new router, or perhaps just ignore the warnings!

Thanks

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@tonyball_sheff 

If you get a WPA3 router you will probably find that only your Apple devices will support it, everything else still needing WPA2. Consequently you will need to also allow WPA2 access to your network. In this case it will improve the security of the WPA3 devices but leave the network security unchanged.

Ignoring the warnings sound like a good option to me.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@tonyball_sheff wrote:

"This network is blocking encrypted DNS traffic."

I do wonder what Apple's intent is here Huh

Fairly certain it's possible to use encrypted DNS if you so choose. Assuming so, the warning is badly worded at best.

Current BT routers do not support WPA3 encryption by the way, and neither does the Hub Two.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

You and me too, @bobpullen .

How many current, reasonably priced consumer hubs do support WPA3 - do you know?

John