cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet FTTP and Eero

FIXED
brightleap

Plusnet FTTP and Eero

I used to have Plusnet FTTC and was using an HG612 modem in bridge mode connected to my Eeros.  All worked perfectly.

I've just upgraded to FTTP via Plusnet and they've sent a Hub Two.  I know I could now use the Hub Two in bridge mode (Hub One didn't support this).

However the Eeros have now also been updated to allow you to enter PPPOE settings for your ISP.  Does this mean I can just connect the Eero directly to the ONT and do away with the separate modem / Hub Two?  It feels like I should be able to, but I can't get it working for some reason.  Maybe I'm mistaken in thinking that the ONT acts as the modem?

6 REPLIES 6
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Re: Plusnet FTTP and Eero

Fix

Does this mean I can just connect the Eero directly to the ONT and do away with the separate modem / Hub Two?  It feels like I should be able to, but I can't get it working for some reason.  Maybe I'm mistaken in thinking that the ONT acts as the modem?

@brightleap  as long as the Eero can do PPPoE it should work fine. Double check the username/password , it should be <accountname>@plusdsl.net and the password that you use for the member centre.

The ONT does act as a modem

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

brightleap

Thanks, good to know it should work at least.  Pretty sure I was using the right details but I didn't have long to test, so will give it another go.

ksaro1
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@brightleap wrote:

However the Eeros have now also been updated to allow you to enter PPPOE settings for your ISP.  Does this mean I can just connect the Eero directly to the ONT and do away with the separate modem / Hub Two?  It feels like I should be able to, but I can't get it working for some reason.  Maybe I'm mistaken in thinking that the ONT acts as the modem?

Have you set the VLAN (or frame) ID on the eero to be untagged? I think most routers default to setting a VLAN ID, which I believe will stop your connection from working. PN uses VLAN tagging on FTTC but not on Full Fibre.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@brightleap  I agree with the comment from @ksaro1 There is no VLAN ID required on the router, the ONT deals with it just as the old Openreach modems did on FTTC.

brightleap

Thanks to everyone who replied...

I made a second attempt today and got it working fine.

As you may know, you have to configure the Eero devices on their mobile app.  What was happening was that there is a special character (a punctuation one) in my PPPOE password and when I entered it, my phone was automatically adding a space after the character, thus inserting a space in the entered password!

At least it was something simple!

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

@brightleap thanks for letting us know. That may be useful for others in the future.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.