cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plus One Router USB port

Charliecat

Plus One Router USB port

What can the USB port be used for on the Plus One Router.

5 REPLIES 5
Baldrick1
Fixes: 416

Re: Plus One Router USB port

@Charliecat  Welcome to the forum.

It can be used for attaching network memory. However it uses the SMB1 network protocol, which is not recommended any more because of security concerns.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Charliecat

In other words it can't be used for anything.😀

Baldrick1
Fixes: 416

It can with some devices if you ignore the security warnings and install SMB1. Would I use it? No.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

PigeonPete
Dabbler

I just read the old chestnut thread:

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Probably-an-old-chestnut-Connecting-to-Plusnet-Hub-One-USB-p...

There is concern that the router uses SMB1.

I'm having difficulty trying to work out what protocol is being used.  How do I discern this.  The server is listed as Samba 3.0.28 upon connection.

I just plugged in a USB stick I was wanting to share at home.  I tried gpt partitioning with fat32 and ext4 file sytems.  It only seemed to work with an msdos partition sheme with a fat32 file system for me.

I was quite happy to have the drive as read only, just loading it up with some songs, to share on the home network.  But I do seem to be able to write to the usb stick remotely via samba.

The key to getting to the drive seems to be this share path:

//pnhub1/usb1/

I can use the smbclient utility on my system like:

smbclient //pnhub1/usb1 -U GUEST -I 192.168.1.254

and hitting return on the password prompt.

Not sure if I trust it enough to put any data on there that I care about.  But could be a useful feature.  I'm reluctant to have a dedicated always on machine such as a NAS, for files that are rarely accessed.  Makes sense to try and use this port as the router is being used anyway.

But having a writable filesystem might be a vulnerability if the router is comprimised.  It's such a black box, and used to reboot frequently. I've relegated it to the role of a second access point now.  Wish it were easier to swap out the firmware on this for something more open.  I don't have much trust in such a critical piece of my network infrastructure.

I'm accessing via a Linux host, and through VLC on Android.

Is this broken on Windows 10 assuming there that SMB1 is disabled?

PigeonPete
Dabbler

Sorry that last comment was overly verbose and probably misplaced.

But the short answer is that you can use it for file sharing (but there are caveats).

I can use Android's VLC on a smartphone/tablet to browse the USB stick on the router.

I have a Raspberry Pi 0 also, that plugs into the tv that runs Kodi (libreelec), that can use that share.