cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plex Media Server always 'Remote' even on local network

DangerDonna
Dabbler

Plex Media Server always 'Remote' even on local network

Ever since getting Plusnet, my Plex Media Server dashboard displays my server as being 'Remote' whereas when we were with Virgin previously is always said 'Nearby'. It means I now have to set the players to maximum quality on Remote connections otherwise it tries to transcode and reduce the quality if its a big video file.

Can anyone advise? We've tried adding firewall rules without any success. Thanks

10 REPLIES 10
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Plex Media Server always 'Remote' even on local network

Thanks for your post @DangerDonna 

I'd like to try something, I've made a small change.

Could you reboot your router and retest? Let me know how it goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
DangerDonna
Dabbler

Thanks for your reply, I have rebooted both my Plusnet router and Plex Media Server however it is still displaying as 'Remote' when I go into the Plex app and main web app.

If I type the IP address of the Plex Server along with the port number, it comes up as 'Nearby' however warms me that it isn't a secure connection. All other Plex apps regard the server as 'Remote'.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Ah that's disappointing. I added a static IP onto your account to rule out a potential routing issue. I've removed the static IP now as it's served its purpose. Not sure what else I can suggest but there may be others on the community able to offer advice. One thing though, do you get the same behaviour if you connect it through mobile data (3G/4G)?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
DangerDonna
Dabbler

Thanks for your reply

I can access Plex through my phone on 3G/4G and it works ok, it displays the connection as Remote understandably as it isn't on my LAN. Its when using my server through my Fire Stick or other devices at home where it thinks its connecting remotely even though they're both on the same LAN and I have to ensure the 'Remote' quality is on maximum otherwise it'll try to transcode and reduce quality.

The only other bit of information I found online was regarding ensuring 'DNS rebinding' is enabled but there doesn't seem to be any DNS settings on my Plusnet router.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to me @DangerDonna 

Ah yeah, that makes sense. Have you tried switching both your router's firewall off and also the broadband firewall Here?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
DangerDonna
Dabbler

Thanks, unfortunately tried disabling both firewalls and they still display as 'Remote' 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Ah I see, hopefully someone will be along with further suggestions as I'm out of ideas unfortunately. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I apologise if you have done this already.

Have you got and posted traceroute logs as to when it is working, and when it isn't?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

@DangerDonna this https://forums.plex.tv/t/local-plex-server-shows-up-as-remote-only-with-remote-settings-applied-when... is probably worth a read

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

rcannata

FWIW, I had these same symptoms.  I am hosting my Plex server on a QNAP and have been changing network ports on the QNAP server; just added a 10GB card.  Short version - when I dug deeper into the QNAP configuration, the network interface had a DDNS service registered on it.  When I shut that registration down, viola, local access from all clients, consistently.  No more forced remote access.