cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Plusnet Router

sleepyjohn
Grafter

New Plusnet Router

Hi,  After my old Technicolor router went faulty recently,  I got a new Plusnet Router to replace it,  and this is now working fine.  It doesn't seem to have a model number and the product name for it is simply "Plusnet Router".   It looks like this:

New routerNew routerBefore I start playing around with it, I've a few questions:

1.  How can I download and save all it's current settings?

2.  If after making some experimental changes, I want to go

back to its original settings,  how do I then  upload my

previously saved settings file to it?

3. How can I find out my broadband user password?  Yes, I

do mean my ADSL broadband password, not my wifi password?

Could it perhaps be the same as my Plusnet account password?

4.  I've noticed under advanced_management.html there's an ADSL/Fibre button.  I'm currently on

ADSL, but if I want to go to fibre in future,  will this new Plusnet Router be compatible?

5.  How about enabling remote access to my router settings from an external internet source?  

8 REPLIES 8
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Re: New Plusnet Router

The PlusNet Help page should answer most of your questions.

https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/router-setup-guides/

Brian

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Hi there,

@sleepyjohn wrote:

Hi,  After my old Technicolor router went faulty recently,  I got a new Plusnet Router to replace it,  and this is now working fine.

Happy to hear your new router is working well for you.

It doesn't seem to have a model number and the product name for it is simply "Plusnet Router".  

It's a Sagemcom 2704N. This is printed, with the serial number, on the bottom of the router under the pink feet.

1.  How can I download and save all it's current settings?

2.  If after making some experimental changes, I want to go

back to its original settings,  how do I then  upload my

previously saved settings file to it?

I'm not sure this is possible, but if you factory reset the router by pushing a pin or paperclip into the tiny reset hole at the back for 20 seconds this should restore the settings to defaults for you.

3. How can I find out my broadband user password?  Yes, I

do mean my ADSL broadband password, not my wifi password?

Could it perhaps be the same as my Plusnet account password?

Yep, it is your account password.

4.  I've noticed under advanced_management.html there's an ADSL/Fibre button.  I'm currently on

ADSL, but if I want to go to fibre in future,  will this new Plusnet Router be compatible?

Yep, but you would need a VDSL2/Fibre modem too. We would generally send out the Plusnet Hub One which is a compatible VDSL2 modem router for fibre upgrades.

5.  How about enabling remote access to my router settings from an external internet source?  

I'm not entirely sure, so I'll leave this question open to the community.

I hope this helps.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
sleepyjohn
Grafter

Thanks vm  for the above useful responses.  

Let me have another go at asking my Question 5:

How about enabling remote access to my router settings from an external internet source?  

I ask because I suspect Plusnet can remotely sort out customers' router settings when needed,  so is there any reason why I shouldn't be able to do the same?   This would be useful because I'm quite often not at home myself.

sleepyjohn
Grafter

Still hoping for a reply to my question 5 above.   Surely if Plusnet techs can gain access to customers' routers remotely when customers run into trouble and need help,  it must be possible for me as a customer to do the same,  mustn't it?

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I'm afraid it's not possible to enable external access to the router, it's also worth noting that we don't gain access to routers remotely. The only thing performed remotely on the router is the initial setup, via TR069 automation. We cannot log in to the router.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

If you don't access remotely how is Bob able to selectively push a config change to alleviate the current upload problem seen by some users?
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Via TR069, we don't log in to the router directly. It's also worth noting that support staff do not have access to the same system as Bob uses.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Cheers Chris, I thought it would be TR069 related.