FIXED
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: New Hub2 — can I obtain one?

No problem at all Pete,

Let us know if there's anything else you'd need help with 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

@bobpullen wrote:

Indeed. I assume the confusion is from assuming an exclusion where there isn't one, based on some possibly ambiguous wording in the training (which I've seen BTW). We built new functionality to offer the hub in the internal recontracting journey. We wouldn't have done this if there was no intention to use it 😉

If there is widespread confusion then drop me a mail and we can address it 👍

There certainly is. I was 'corrected' on this only yesterday. https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/WPS-light-on-router-begins-flashing-by-itself/m-p/1847204#M2...

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Thanks @Baldrick1 - I saw that one too.

Working on getting some clarification circulated to stamp out the confusion.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Madeleyite
Rising Star
Fixes: 5

I recontracted with Plusnet changing over to 'Unlimited Fibre' from 1st December 2021. I was sent a Hub One and it was updated to 'Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.289.1.3 | Last updated 02/12/21'.

This has not fixed the 5GHz Wi-Fi drop out issue. The Wi-Fi dropped out 4 times yesterday that I monitored. It may have dropped more times that I am unaware of because I was not watching at the time. I rely on 5GHz due to interference on the 2.4GHz band and can't easily connect via ethernet. A good 5GHz is important to me.

Am I able to get a Hub Two please?

Madeleyite
Rising Star

I should add that my Hub One is in direct line-of-site of my devices and only 5.5m distance with no barriers in-between so 5GHz Wi-Fi should be no problem. But it is.

Hopefully a Hub Two will fix the drop-out issue, if Plusnet could oblige please?

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I can see some Wi-Fi noise in your logs but there's probably an equal number of entries for the 2.4GHz radio to be honest.

What's preventing the ethernet connection out of interest if the device in question is ~5m away?

I also note you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz radios split. This is not possible when using a Hub Two.

If there are continued Wi-Fi bugs affecting the Hub One then they are as yet unidentified 😕

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Madeleyite
Rising Star

Hello Bob,

To connect by Ethernet cable would mean drilling through a wall, running through trunking along top of a skirting board and then diving down to go under floor boards (lifting carpet, underlay and some boards), emerging again on the other side of the room in order to plug into my smart TV. I am not capable of doing this and would have to employ someone to do it.

Interesting to know that one can't split the bands but as long as I can rename the Wi-Fi SSID to the same as I use now for my 5GHz band and allocate my own password then my devices should connect automatically without me having to do anything more so no problem. Question - Is this possible with the Hub Two?

Thank you,

Madeleyite
Rising Star

I should have said that I will reply to your PM after I know the answer to my query above.

Also, no, I do not need to split the SSID as long as the smart switching between 2.4 and 5 GHz is reliable. As I mentioned before there is some interference on the 2.4 GHz band and reliable switching to 5 GHz is a 'would like to have'.

Thank you.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Yes, renaming the SSID and changing the password is possible. I can't say for sure that a Hub Two will resolve your problem because I don't understand what is causing it. 

Edit: a connected device is still going to see a very short interruption in connectivity when it transitions from 2.4GHz to 5GHz, or vice versa.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

IngeJones
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

But can we buy one from yourselves, if we pay for it?

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@IngeJones - at the moment no, but I'm expecting it to be possible in the New Year.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Madeleyite
Rising Star

Having thought some more I realise that the Wi-Fi drop-outs are short-lived. In fact I would not know except for brief "No internet connection" messages on my TV screen so this may not turn out to be a big problem for daily browsing or even streaming video (which gets buffered on the device), because the re-acquisition happens quickly.

As you say the Hub Two may not fix the issue. For all I know brief Wi-Fi drop-outs are normal behaviour as long as they do not last too long. If they do become a problem I will consider getting someone to install an ethernet connection.

So, for now I will stay as-is, using Hub One, and thank you for your help.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

@IngeJones wrote:

But can we buy one from yourselves, if we pay for it?

If all you want is the same WiFi performance then buy a BT Smarthub 2 from an auction site. They are really cheap. The setting instructions etc. are pinned to the top of this board.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

lighteningshado

I have just renewed my contract today, having been told on customer chat that there would either be the option in the renewal process to request a hub two or I could phone customer services afterwards.

When I phoned customer services I was told Plusnet was not issuing them to renewing customers only new customers.

I am now considering cancelling my renewal and my account altogether and looking elsewhere.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for your post @lighteningshado 

I'd recommend calling our Customer Options Team on 0800 013 2632 to see what we can do as they're the best people to help. From what I can tell it doesn't look like the adviser you had spoken to was part of this team, though I'm really sorry for the incorrect information you were given still. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet