cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Draytek router 10mb slower than PlusNet Hub

paulwilkinsuk

New Draytek router 10mb slower than PlusNet Hub

Hi folks. I’ve just replaced my PlusNet supplied router (which was zipping along at 58mb/s) with a Draytek 2766. Only getting 49mb/s. Rather disappointing.
15 REPLIES 15
Edinburgh_wg
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: New Draytek router 10mb slower than PlusNet Hub

Post your stats from Draytek, together with the firmware version. Draytek does a number of different firmware codes and can also sync at lower speeds depending on the quality of wiring. 

There is a dedicated Draytek forum where you might also get some help. 

markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 12

From my occasional interactions with them over the years, I've been impressed with Draytek's support. Have a look at 

https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/contact-support

I am the satisfied customer....
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from Fibre Broadband to My Router.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Edinburgh_wg
Rising Star

Maybe so, and I can confirm that, but it's not the case over the past year or so.
On at least two occasions I've had a woeful experience. And there are similar reports on Draytek's forum.

RRM
Rising Star

You do not provide any details. I have a Draytek router, it has been rock solid. Recent firmware upgrades from Draytek have been poor but overall it works really well - no issue. Connectivity is on par or better than Plusnet Hub I find and it allows me to change everything I want. I have a 2962ac running the latest firmware.

R

paulwilkinsuk

For those requesting screen shots... as I mentioned I used to get a sync rate of 59Mb/s

Screenshot 2022-01-14 at 13.48.59.pngScreenshot 2022-01-14 at 13.49.16.pngScreenshot 2022-01-14 at 13.50.23.pngScreenshot 2022-01-14 at 13.50.06.png

Edinburgh_wg
Rising Star

Interleaving is on on your line which suggests some issues, or could be the result of disconnections. This is most likely the reason why you're connecting at a lower rate.
In terms of MTU, the value should be 1492.
RRM
Rising Star

There are also a lot of errors (FEC) on your line, was told by OR Engineer this will cause drop in line speed. I replaced my phone cable with Cat5e in the house to the master socket and now get this

Capture.PNG

on my download side, greatly reduced FEC and CRC errors, my line speed has gone up by 2Mb/s over time, but I am too far from the exchange to get anything more than 30Mb/s down.

All other config looks fine apart from the MTU as mentioned above. You can try the alternative modem codes provided on Draytek's website here https://draytek.co.uk/support/downloads/vigor-2766. They might help.

R

paulwilkinsuk

Ok.. but why is the PlusNet supplied box not affected by this 'interleave' and 'FECS' problem? This is what I am struggling to comprehend.

RRM
Rising Star

Chipset and software on each router is different. One maybe more sensitive to issues than the other is the only explanation I can offer. One maybe more compatible with your exchange than the other. If all else is the same that's all I can think of.

R

Edinburgh_wg
Rising Star

There are other routers with the same chipset as Draytek (Plusnet Hub, Fritzbox ... which have Lantiq) and they connect to Huawei cabinets ok (OP's cabinet). Some are more sensitive to disconnections than others, as @RRM says. For example, on my line, Draytek will disconnect more often than Fritzbox. 

Interleaving on FTTC is likely to be the result of a fault or frequent disconnections (user intervention). You are already on 3db, so there's not much play in terms of getting Draytek to lower SNR even more. 

FECS are the errors that never occurred, but which are indicative, as the previous poster indicate of issues on the line. 

As RRM suggests, you should try different modem codes. You could try re-syncing at quiet times. You could try replacing the cable or filters. However, if Plusnet confirm that the line is ok, you'd need to leave the router connected so that DSLAM remove interleaving after a period of stability. 

There's also new firmware released by Draytek for 2766, dated end of Dec 2021. Quite a lot of new features and fixes. However, I see that your Draytek has it already. You could experiment with alternative firmware types. However, some don't have vectoring enabled and so will reduce the speed even more. You can search for my posts on Draytek's forum to see which firmware has what options enabled. 

Instead of uploading new firmware (MDM1, 2, 3), you could also select a different modem code in WAN > General Setup > DSL Modem Code as an alternative. This mean offer a better performance. 

Remember though that the more you make changes to the line, the more it'll be seen by DSLAM as not stable; the main reason for that is that every time you change config on Draytek, you have to restart. Plus, you don't know how often you disconnect at other times, too. 

paulwilkinsuk

All sound advice. I did the upgrade to the new firmware a couple of days ago. Perhaps patience is the watch word here. I'll leave it a while and see if the 'dynamic management' does something over the next couple of days/weeks.

Thanks all.

orby
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Change the MTU to 1492 or press the discovery button to auto calculate....I had no end of problems with my 2762 modem router when it was set as 1520. I think my modem changed the value when I did a firmware update and it forgot the setting and defaulted to 1520.

As for errors reported, I get those and was told on another forum that Draytek's are known to record spurious and incorrect errors so I should ignore if it all worked ok (once I'd set the MTU to 1492). And I found that was the case, I've had a rock solid connection at better sync than the Plusnet and Openreach modem did.

Does it go into the master socket? do you have a filter into master socket or does master socket have 2 ports with vdsl and seperate phone socket?

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@RRM wrote:

You do not provide any details. I have a Draytek router, it has been rock solid. Recent firmware upgrades from Draytek have been poor but overall it works really well - no issue. Connectivity is on par or better than Plusnet Hub I find and it allows me to change everything I want. I have a 2962ac running the latest firmware.

R

2962ac @RRM ?

OT and nit-picking maybe, but is that a typo as from my experience with (older now) DrayTek routers, the 29 series doesn't include a modem.  Presumably you meant 28Undecided