Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Plusnet Hub one router.

karlgixer
Grafter

My Plusnet Hub one router.

Hello.

I am having problems with my Plusnet Hub One router.

the problems are as follows.

1- my wifi keeps dropping out.

2- The router for some reason keeps turning itself off, I have to unplug the cable and re plug back in for it to come back on. But then have to wait for it to go through all the warmup stuff which is getting to be a pain in the backside if it does it 3 or 4 times (or more sometimes ) per day.

Any help or advice Please?

Thanks.

Karl.

22 REPLIES 22
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: My Plusnet Hub one router.

@karlgixer 

When you say that it's turning itselg off, what precisely do you mean? What are the lights doing?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

karlgixer
Grafter

It turns itself off. No lights at all.

if i press power button at back nothing.

I have to unplug the power lead for a few seconds and re plug back in for it to power up again.

Then it has to go through the re start sequence again then all is good again.

Then it will go out again then repeat above 3 to 4 times or more a day.

I

Baldrick1

@karlgixer 

This sounds like a dying hub. How old is it, when did you last renew your contract and when is it next due for renewal?

If it's less than 12 months old then it has a twelve months guarantee. If you recently renewed or if it's coming up for renewal then it's worth ringing the Customer Options Team on 0800 013 2632 and asking for a replacement for the P&P charge. You may need to take out a new contract. If you are on FTTC then ask for a Hub Two, these have better wireless performance than the Hub One.

Moderator and Customer

karlgixer
Grafter

my contract started on 18th Jan 2022

My renewal date is July 2023.

Baldrick1

@karlgixer 

Hopefully a Plusnet staffer will come along soon and comment, hopefully they will offer a replacement hub. Alternatively you could ring in and see what happens.

Another solution used by some is to get a BT Smarthub or Smarthub 2 from an auction site, where they sell for very little money. These have the same wireless performance as the Plusnet Hub Two. They need configurating to work on your Plusnet service. You will find the setting instructions pinned to the top of this board.

Moderator and Customer

karlgixer
Grafter

Thanks Baldrick1.

I will go look for a BT smarthub 2 and try that as been told they are much better than any plusnet hub.

karlgixer
Grafter

Which post is it i will need to follow to set up the BT smarthub 2 to my plusnet?

Baldrick1

@karlgixer 

Basic settings are here: https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85... but if you have problems see here: https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-A-BT-Smarthub-An-Update/m-p/1795292#M24601

The Smarthub 2 has no better performance than a Plusnet Hub 2, in fact it's less configurable.

Moderator and Customer

karlgixer
Grafter

Ok Thanks Baldrick1.

I will wait to see if a Plusnet staffer drops onto this thread and helps with a new plusnet hub.

Thanks again for the help.

Karl.

karlgixer
Grafter

Well.

I am at that point where i am very close to pulling the plug on Plusnet and cancelling my direct debt.

I have left messages on here for a plusnet staff to contact me BUT the post has gone.

I have emailed 

I have messaged on face book

I have given up phoning and trying to get through that way. I just get passed about then cut off.

If i dont get help with this router by the end of this week i will say bye bye to plusnet and stop my direct debt and you can take me to court for the outstanding contract balance.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

@karlgixer 

I understand your frustration but I warn against cancelling your direct debit, this can result in your credit score being damaged and debt collectors been involved to recover any outstanding subscriptions.

If you started a second thread to highlight your issue then I would suspect it was deleted as you broke forums rules.

There is no email address for support.

Recently staffers have been slow to pick up issues here and on other social media platforms, so maybe it is best to persevere to contact them by phone.

An option could be to raise a fault https://faults.plus.net hopefully this will help or follow @Baldrick1 advice and buy your own modem/router

Dan. 

karlgixer
Grafter

And that's where the problems lay.

As soon as you say your going to stand up to these big companies who give very little thought to the people that pay their wages you get threatened with court actions and bailiffs and credit score stuff.

Well sod them let them bring it on.

First thing in the morning i am off down to my bank to stop my DD and sod them.

I have been trying for 2 days to get support via facebook here and phoning.

All are a waist of time.

People like yourself try to help but its plusnet support team that should be rushing to help but no they are to busy counting their corporate greed profits,

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@karlgixer - apologies for the frustration.

I can see you've raised a fault ticket against your account and I'm sure one of the support team will pick it up as soon as they're able.

In the meantime, I've taken a look at your account to see if there's anything I can do to help. Assuming I'm looking in the right place though, something doesn't look right to me. Your connection has been up, uninterrupted, for over two weeks now. If the power were being lost to the hub then this simply wouldn't be possible Huh

Has it happened recently, or is it just the Wi-Fi that you've been having problems with of late?

Edit: on the Wi-Fi front, I notice that you have the 2.4GHz and 5GHz Wi-Fi channels named differently and everything is currently connected to the 2.4GHz channel. Is there a reason for this? Whilst the 2.4GHz channel is better for range, it is slower than the 5GHz channel and more susceptible to interference.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

karlgixer
Grafter

It is fine at the moment because i am running another hub (loaned from a friend) as mine just keeps switching off.
When i get home this afternoon i will switch the hubs over and let you monitor it for the rest of the week.
I will post here what time i will change the hub over.
As for the 2.4GHz and 5GHz setting i have no idea on this. Is it best to set everything to the 5GHz? If so how do I do this?
Karl.